• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Poor call quality?

Hi, all,

I have posted elsewhere with my audio issues on the Incredible. I was a preorder (first shipments) and there was a terrible fuzziness around every word spoken by the person I was talking to, only when I called landlines, only I could hear it--not the other party. Mine definitely wasn't a tinny sound or a speaker quality issue. Sounded fine as long as I wasn't calling a landline. Mine was the software. Music and other calls sounded fine. Hoping that HTC addresses this in an upcoming update.

So in hopes to be reassured that it wasn't just every HTC product (for my ears or whatever), when the EVO came out I preordered and signed up with Sprint. Sound is great in every call and I have no more "sorry, what did you say?" moments. I would switch permanently to Sprint and keep the EVO, but I'm disappointed with the coverage. Simply awful in places I had no trouble with on Verizon...unfortunately will be going back and hoping when I return to Verizon the Incredible will be fixed. Or, I guess wait for Motorola to get stuff together. ?

Upvote 0
My voice calls sound fine, yet voice mail messages - whether Sprint's Visual voice mail or Google voice - sound horrible. Like someone else mentioned, it sounds like a blown out speaker: very tinny and buzzy. Since all of the Sprint stores in my city are sold out, I'll be doing an exchange through the mail. They expect to have more EVOs in stock before the stores get their next shipment.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have very poor call quality with their EVO? I have 2 EVOs and both have a tinny sound

Here is a fix I got from ppcgeeks. You need to call sprint and speak with tier 2 tech support and have them enable EVRC-B and set Home Orig to EVRC-B.

This improved voice clarity, and speaker phone quality as well. Volume also seemed to improve. I have not experienced any negative affects due to this change or any additional drain on battery life.

To view:
1) Open the phone dialer
2) Type ##DATA# or (##3282#) (do not need to press anything else)
3) When the screen pops up select view
4) Then select advance
5) Scroll down to you see EVRC-B and Home Orig (this is what need to be changed to improve voice quality).

To enable EVRC-B:
1) Open the phone dialer
3) When the screen pops up select edit
4) You will be prompted for a password.
5) Sprint will need to give you the password, the password is also your MSL#
6) enter # given and save for later (maybe usefull if you root)
7) Then select advance
8) Tap to enable EVRC-B and then tap Home Orig to set EVRC-B there as well.
9) Press menu and select "Commit Modifications" so that the changes take affect.
10) You can now exit by press back.

Hope this works for you.

BTW I was not having issues before, but I did notice this setting worked better for me. This is the most current speech codec used by CDMA networks.

Upvote 0
Here is a fix I got from ppcgeeks. You need to call sprint and speak with tier 2 tech support and have them enable EVRC-B and set Home Orig to EVRC-B.

This improved voice clarity, and speaker phone quality as well. Volume also seemed to improve. I have not experienced any negative affects due to this change or any additional drain on battery life.

To view:
1) Open the phone dialer
4) Then select advance
5) Scroll down to you see EVRC-B and Home Orig (this is what need to be changed to improve voice quality).

To enable EVRC-B:
1) Open the phone dialer
7) Then select advance
9) Press menu and select "Commit Modifications" so that the changes take affect.

Hope this works for you.

BTW I was not having issues before, but I did notice this setting worked better for me. This is the most current speech codec used by CDMA networks.
i might have to give this a try

Upvote 0
I'm on my 2nd EVO. First was 0002 & now 0003 but stilll have issues with poor call quality and low volume while using a wired earpiece with mic?

Seriously thinking of canceling before the 30 days. But I really love the phone otherwise.

same here, my first one went about a weekend, and now this one has gone about 3 weeks, last night in the middle of a call it happened. I am now sure that this has something to do with the earpiece physically. i was on the phone with my sister and she talks loud.

is sprint coming out with any other cool phones soon? if the evo is going to turn into a palm pre then i will go back to the hero

Upvote 0

To view:
1) Open the phone dialer
4) Then select advance

To enable EVRC-B:
1) Open the phone dialer
7) Then select advance

Hope this works for you.

whats the latest news on this method? anyone else tried it? hows it seem to be working for those who have?? :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I originally purchased my Evo on 7/21/10 and I've had to exchange it multiple times since then due to various quality problems. My first Evo had a blown earpiece speaker along with glass separation issues. The power button on my second Evo was broken by a Sprint tech attempting to clean out dust in the camera lens cover. The third one I had a red stuck pixel right in the middle of the screen. The fourth one kept rebooting and it was obviously a refurbished model. Okay so now I'm on my fifth one. Needless to say I am very scared to exchange it as I've had nothing but bad luck. I know that the newer batch of phones have the newer Epson screens which are in my opinion inferior. My third phone had the Epson screen and it was noticeably inferior. So with my 5th Evo I am getting the oh so slight light leaks and the earpiece buzz on the highest two in-call volume settings. I have the nice Novatel screen (phone is hardware version 0003) and the light leaks (knock on wood) are very minor with no glass separation to report. I tested two other Evos, the display model at two different Sprint corporate stores, and both of them made the earpiece buzz calling the exact same phone number. So not counting my first phone with the blown earpiece speaker, that's 6 out of 6 phones I've tested that exhibit the same problem. I am not having any volume issues as far as the earpiece speaker not being loud enough. I know that others have reported no buzz or vibration type noise with their phones even on the highest in-call volume setting. The actual speaker seems to be fine as if I press the phone against my ear firmly the buzz stops since my ear is absorbing the vibration. So my question is what would you guys do or suggest at this point? Should I just turn the in-call volume down and live with it? Is this considered a blown earpiece speaker or is it just of substandard quality? Maybe HTC is using different speaker parts for different phones the same way they have switched the screens?

Upvote 0
It doesn't sound perfect, but it's loud, and it's clear. I have never been in a situation where I couldn't understand someone perfectly. Is there really any reason to care beyond this? It's not like you're listening to music over a call (and if you are it's probably from being on hold and playing some dreary elevator music you don't want to hear!).

Upvote 0
The thing is after 30 days I think Sprint only gives you a refurbished model and not a new phone. I have one more question. On my phone the earpiece volume is definitely nice and loud as I am able to hear clearly even when the in-call volume is set to half. I do get distortion (with some vibration) at max volume and occasionally at the second highest in-call volume setting for the louder call connections. Is this considered a blown speaker? I think I have become paranoid after reading all the various posts with people reporting problems. Is there anyone that does not get any distortion at max volume? As I said before I tested the demo EVOs at two different stores and they sounded like my phone when calling the same phone number. Thanks guys!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones