• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poor internet with Orange + No longer any 'good' deals on this phone :(

Think i may be having the same problem on Orange UK. Sometimes the internet works and will load pages but other times (over the last few days) it just stops loading information and always flicks between 3G/3G+ even though the website says i have perfect 3G+ coverage near central Leeds. Last week when using the mobile network to access travel information it struggled to load pages and got very hot; something which i just put down to work load on the device but could this be the same problem?

Upvote 0
I would say so, phone tech support (150 > 1 1 3 1) and tell them your phone is overheating, make sure say it is very hot (as you describe) and you feel uncomfortable using it in such a state let alone putting it next to your head to make a phone call...

You should be good for a replacement phone (possibly even black) on a next day delivery. Keep a hold of your SIM and back up all your settings and apps to your PC as you will need to give the courier all your current hardware.

Upvote 0
I forgot to add - I sent HTC a message regarding this on Saturday, they got back to me with the following today:

Dear Mr S, Thank you for contacting us. In answer to your query regarding the internet functionality of the HTC Desire, we can confirm that several users have reported the issue that you have described, and we are currently investigating this. Should it be possible, we will release a fix for this in the next software update, however we cannot guarantee that this will be the case. In the interim, it is recommended to continue with your device return, in case there is a fault with your particular handset, however should the problem continue with your new handset, please contact us again and we will forward this information to our software engineers. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Kind Regards, Tony F HTC
Although I will not be following this up, it may be useful for someone.
icon14.gif

Upvote 0
I would say so, phone tech support (150 > 1 1 3 1) and tell them your phone is overheating, make sure say it is very hot (as you describe) and you feel uncomfortable using it in such a state let alone putting it next to your head to make a phone call...

You should be good for a replacement phone (possibly even black) on a next day delivery. Keep a hold of your SIM and back up all your settings and apps to your PC as you will need to give the courier all your current hardware.
Will continue to check the mobile internet in the next couple of days and see if the problems persist as i havent used mobile internet to a great extent yet, mostly Wi-Fi which is problem free. I didnt order the phone through Orange but it is on their network and my contract is with them so i presume i will be able to get them to resolve the potential problem.

Upvote 0
Well my new SIM came today but I still seem to have the same problems, that is perceived low signal strength (varying between -91 and -111dBm, never more than -87dBm). Haven't tried browsing yet as I think Orange are still setting up my services on the new SIM.

I'll nip into another Orange shop in London tomorrow to see if I can compare devices. grrrr!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones