Poor reception, but my friend's unrooted droid had a strong signal

Last Updated:

1. otter

otter Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Rooted droid, using Froyo Kangerade V5.0.9.

I was sitting next to my friend who just got a droid and is unrooted. I was explaining how great everything was, but he was skeptical to root as most of us have been.

I wanted to make a phone call so I picked up my droid, but I went between 0 bars to half a bar and had a weak to no signal. I dialed the number, but the call wasn't going through. He, on the other hand had 3-4 bars consistently. I was pretty embarrassed when I had to ask him to use unrooted droid. I even tried *228 but my reception was still poor.

How can you explain this? More importantly how can I get "more bars" and a stronger signal just like the guy next to me had!

Advertisement
  2. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Are you guys on the same baseband? I generally have the opposite issue with my fiance's Droid and mine. Mine, being rooted, usually has an extra bar or two vs. her unrooted Droid. (we are both on the same baseband, I never updated)

3. otter

Basebands are something I'm not too familiar with. I don't know if we're the same or not, however I can say that I've never changed mine

4. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Well-Known Member

go into about phone and check it...its near the bottom. Pete released the new baseband for Froyo. I am not sure where the post is, but my reception got better and I am running the same kangerade.

5. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

See what baseband you're running, different basebands seem to work better in different areas. The newest baseband out (I think) is C_01.43.01P

If you don't have this one, get it! If you do have this one, try reverting back to an older baseband and see how that one works.

6. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

When was the last time you dialed *228 or *22899?

7. baa269

baa269 Well-Known Member

everytime i goto dial out my bars drop to 1 bar and i usually drop the call. it even does this when im unrooted. ive had this problem for 50+ days now and verizon has only told me do *228 and update, reboot the phone, hey checked the towers and said they have reloaded software. i have also been told there were numerous other tickets open in my area for the same issue, i was in a weak service area, rep on next call said they had noi clue why rep said i was in weak service area according to their maps i was in a perfect service area. imn getting tired of being dicked around by verizon.:mad: and im still waiting for a phone call back from last wednesday which they said id have in a week..... well its been a week and 1 day now and still no call.

8. SirVilhelm

SirVilhelm Well-Known Member

This baseband caused me to loose all kinds of signal.

9. otter

I dialed *228 that day. I haven't ever dialed *22899. How is that different?

10. otter

I have C_01.3E.03P. Once I find the baseband you suggest do I just put it on the root of my sd card as is or do I have to change the name to update?

11. Kerplunk

Kerplunk Member

i just did this. i put it in the root and renamed it update.zip and then installed. but i think either way is fine.

12. nathan312

nathan312 Well-Known Member

It automatically selects "Option 1" i think, maybe "Option 2" lol.

13. kidon

kidon Well-Known Member

ROM manager has Pete's all-in-one baseband update.

14. otter

Thanks, but I'm not on wifi and it takes to long for me to download w/ 3G w/ Rom manager.

edit: My bad. When you said all in one I was thinking it was included in the ROM and that is what takes too long. I tried downloading from rom manager and got a downlaod error

15. Shadowtech

Shadowtech Well-Known Member

One thing to note, is when your phone is displaying the 3g icon, you are getting bars for 3G. When you make a call the phone reverts to 1x, and the bars change respectively. So while your phone may show 4 bars while idle, that just means you have a strong 3G signal. You could be getting terrible 1x reception but will not know unless you try to make a call or you've got WiFi on.

16. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

More than a few have been reporting this lately, I wonder why. Granted, I'm not too familiar w/ the names that have been reporting issues, so I wonder if they updated their basebands when they upgraded to Froyo. I have not seen any drop off in call quality or bars since rooting back in February, but my Droid has become more reliable since updating basebands.