Poor signal strengthSupport

Last Updated:

1. homegeek

homegeek Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know if this is because of Sprint or the EVO but in my house I barely get 1 bar of signal and people can barely hear me on the other end of the call. This is my first Sprint phone so I don't know if it is the service or not. I came from ATT and never had these issues with my iPhone before. I am a little concerned about whether I exchange phone or am I going to just have to give up on Sprint.

Advertisement
  2. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

It would be helpful to know your true phone signal strength. In the Phone application, dial *#*#4636#*#* then go to Phone Information. Look for the line "Signal Strength" and let us know what it says. It will be a number probably in the range of -70 dBm to -100 dBm.

3. homegeek

It is showing -100dbw

4. Berner

Berner Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's tending towards the bad side (-100 to -110 would be considered pretty weak signal, IMHO).

One of the Sprint experts will need to chime in as to your options. I've only been a Sprint customer for 2 days, so I'm not sure what fixes/steps might be available.

5. bowerman

bowerman Guest

It sounds like sprints service is not going to work for you. You might just be in a dead zone! You may want to check verizons coverage in your area. They have the incredible that is pretty nice! Also, rumor has it that the new iphone will be announced tomorrow! So that may be an option for you also.

6. homegeek

According to the Sprint website I should have excellent coverage.

7. austink

austink Member

I am dealing with the same issue. I have five bars outside ny condo, but step into the unit and I'm lucky to get one bar and immediately drop any call I am on. I'm coming from Verizon and got great reception inside. Also, my wife's iPhone has a full five bars.

I just got off the phone with customer service and they recommended updating firmware and the PRL, which doesnt seem to have worked.

The rep did mention that they have something called an airave, which hooks up to your broadband and acts like your own personal cell tower. Of course they charge 100 for the device and then you need to pay $5 more per month for the "enhanced coverage"

I really like the phone, so I am leaning toward getting the airave. Unfortunately, I paid an early termination fee with Verizon to get this phone and hate to go back (doubt they would give that back).

Has anyone had any luck getting Sprint to comp the airave?

8. austink

austink Member

I am dealing with the same issue. I have five bars outside ny condo, but step into the unit and I'm lucky to get one bar and immediately drop any call I am on. I'm coming from Verizon and got great reception inside. Also, my wife's iPhone has a full five bars.

I just got off the phone with customer service and they recommended updating firmware and the PRL, which doesnt seem to have worked.

The rep did mention that they have something called an airave, which hooks up to your broadband and acts like your own personal cell tower. Of course they charge 100 for the device and then you need to pay $5 more per month for the "enhanced coverage"

I really like the phone, so I am leaning toward getting the airave. Unfortunately, I paid an early termination fee with Verizon to get this phone and hate to go back (doubt they would give that back).

Has anyone had any luck getting Sprint to comp the airave?

9. homegeek

I am not sure why I should pay extra money to get what I already should be getting and that is the ability to make and receive phone calls. According to Sprint's own map I am in an excellent coverage area. I have to wonder if it is the hardware of the phone.