• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Poor Wifi Performance. Android 1.6 or TMO MyTouch 3G LE?

triffle

Lurker
Feb 1, 2010
Hey Everyone,

So I have had my MT3G LE for about 4 days... and I am really liking it. I was having an issue though... I am able to access the internet via WIFI, with now issues except when I am on my home WIFI. I am able to connect, but I was not able to surf... If I would issue out pings from my laptop to my phone I would get "destination host unreachable" and "time outs". I would be able to surf, but the performance was so poor that the browsing the internet is impossible...

I checked all over the forums and google... The only thing that I could find was reset your phone, clear cookies, take out there battery...ect. However, I did see one thread where some people were reporting that they were having no issues connecting to WIFI with WPA2 - AES encryption...

This did not make since to me, since I was able to use WIFI at my work and at my bubby's house. So I checked my wireless security settings on my router at the house... I was running WPA2 - TKIP - AES. I change it from that to just AES, and lo and behold... Able to surf no problem what so ever, great speed... no further issues.

Now my question is. Is there a limitation with TKIP and Android 1.6 or is it limitation with the MyTouch 3G LE (32A)?

Hey Everyone,

So I have had my MT3G LE for about 4 days... and I am really liking it. I was having an issue though... I am able to access the internet via WIFI, with now issues except when I am on my home WIFI. I am able to connect, but I was not able to surf... If I would issue out pings from my laptop to my phone I would get "destination host unreachable" and "time outs". I would be able to surf, but the performance was so poor that the browsing the internet is impossible...

I checked all over the forums and google... The only thing that I could find was reset your phone, clear cookies, take out there battery...ect. However, I did see one thread where some people were reporting that they were having no issues connecting to WIFI with WPA2 - AES encryption...

This did not make since to me, since I was able to use WIFI at my work and at my bubby's house. So I checked my wireless security settings on my router at the house... I was running WPA2 - TKIP - AES. I change it from that to just AES, and lo and behold... Able to surf no problem what so ever, great speed... no further issues.

Now my question is. Is there a limitation with TKIP and Android 1.6 or is it limitation with the MyTouch 3G LE (32A)?

I think it maybe the OS limitation. I've had similar issue where I was having hard time transmitting any packets when using TKIP. But when I changed it to AES, viola, the problem solved.
In general, AES is 'stronger' than TKIP so I really did not bother to investigate any further.
I am using the original MyTouch3G so I do not think it's the hardware platform issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones