Poor Youtube Video Quality with Hero

Last Updated:

1. erikcave

erikcave Active Member This Topic's Starter

Today at Sprint store I played the same YouTube video on the Hero and the Pre side by side. The Pre looked great, the Hero had a very low frame rate and poor resolution. I hope someone can tell me something was wrong with the Hero and it is not always like this.

I am seriously considering buying a Hero and have been spending a lot of time at my local Sprint story getting to know it. Today I was trying out flash video on many sites and they all looked bad like I described above. I just assumed the videos had a poor source until I tried a YouTube video on the Pre. It is hard to believe all the reviews I have been seeing of the Hero wouldn't have hammered it for this if it were a common problem.

Advertisement
  2. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member

They are not.that good on my UK Hero.

3. meangreengdub

meangreengdub Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing but if you hit Menu when your video loads up then click More a box will come up and click Watch in High Quality. Should help it a lot, let me know.

4. showson1

showson1 Member

Also, if you're going to the Youtube mobile page an tapping on a video, it plays it in the flash player and has some of the problems you described.

Personally, I've never had an issue playing videos with the Youtube application.
    I actually came from the Pre to the Hero and don't see a difference if playing through the native app..

5. erikcave

Thanks for the replies. I will try to get back to the Sprint store today and try out the video quality options.

How do I know if the video is playing in the YouTube app or not? The video I tried played full screen. Must I navigate there from a separate app than the browser?

Erik

6. spenspuma

spenspuma Well-Known Member

You need to make sure you go to YouTube via the inbuilt app rather than simply typing in the website in the browser and going direct.

If its using 3g signal then the quality may not be as good as using WiFi

7. Gabe

Gabe Active Member

if you goto youtube.com, do the videos you click on open via the youtube app?

8. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

Thats the solution, just click watch in high quality, and the quality is amazing!

9. Bunjiweb

Bunjiweb Well-Known Member

All videos I have watched over wi-fi have been excellent, quality on 3g/hsdpa varies per video, I think it changes depending on your connection speed...

10. erikcave

I was at the Sprint store again today and tried to enable high quality, but could never find the setting. I pressed the menu button over and over again while the video was playing, but it never did anything. Also, I intentionally loaded a video via the YouTube App and the quality was still bad. Furthermore I rebooted the device to be sure it wasn't just loaded down with running programs.

Weird

11. spenspuma

Not all videos have a high quality option. Some videos on YouTube are not as high quality as others, you are obviously trying to pick fault with the Hero by picking a poor quality video which would look bad on any device.

A good quality video will look exactly the same on the hero as on any other decent device.

But basically if you've tricked your mind into believing the Hero is rubbish then simply don't buy one.

12. kasperknop

kasperknop Well-Known Member

I have always thought youtube looked absolutely aamazing on my hero... even heard it should be better than iPhone but never compaired myself...

13. erikcave

Maybe you missed my first post. I compared the same video on the Pre and the Hero.

14. spenspuma

Ii
    Hate to say it but....there's no way.

Tell me which video It Is and ill see what its like on ny hero

15. quantumrand

quantumrand Well-Known Member

So I just tried Youtube on my Hero for the first time to see what you're talking about. I can see some slight quality issues when I stretch the video to fit the screen.

Try watching a video in its native ratio instead of stretching to fit.

16. Quazar

Quazar Well-Known Member

I clicked "Watch in high quality" in the settings, my mind was blown! Its amazing

17. erikcave

I was at Sprint again today and got the High Quality thing to work in the YouTube player. In the web browser, pressing menu while a video was playing still did nothing.

18. kasl33

kasl33 Member

There is actually truth the the Pre vs Hero on YouTube. The Pre plays all YouTube videos with very clear and high quality while the Hero doesn't (by default). However, going to that High Quality option on the Hero makes it about equal (thanks for that advice, I didn't know that option for high quality was there either).

What would be really nice is to get the Hero to play videos in high quality by default. Anybody know of a way to do this?

19. spenspuma

That is a YouTube setting though...with YouTube, even if you are accessing it via a pc, you have the option of high quality mode (if available for that particular video) maybe the pre is automatically set to switch to this mode....but there's no way a like for like video will look worse on the Hero.

20. mmx2003

mmx2003 New Member

make sur u are using a wifi connection if its wifi the video quality is absloutely awesome better than i phone i can say i am so happy with my uk heroo