POP E-Mail not checking for new mail automaticallySupport

Last Updated:

1. fdnyfish

fdnyfish Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have a pop e-mail account set up on my incredible to check every 10 minutes for new e-mail, but it never does. the only time it checks for new mail is when I manually launch the mail app.

My Gmail account works fine. I will send myself a e-mail from my gmail account to my pop e-mail account (another email address) and that email will not hit my incredible until I manually launch the mail app.

Any Idea what could be wrong?

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Do you have "enable data always on" checked? It's in mobile data settings MENU >SETTINGS >WIRELESS & NETWORKS > MOBILE NETWORKS

3. kika1305

kika1305 Member

I have the same issue exactly (with my htc incredible S)... And I do have "enable data always on" checked. Any ideas how to fix it? Thx.

4. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Well-Known Member

Do you have a task killer or any "battery saving" apps installed?

5. kika1305

kika1305 Member

No actually I don't

6. sdrawkcab25

Some phones also have a setting for "background data" you would want to make sure that is turned on too. Other than that, it is either a problem with the app or the pop mail provider, you could try another app like K-9 mail and see if you have better luck:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsck.k9&hl=en

kika1305 likes this.
  7. kika1305

kika1305 Member

It is on... I tried to sync it just now to see what happens and if it doesn't I'll check out K9 mail

8. kika1305

kika1305 Member

Still not working unless I launch the app, thx though

9. sdrawkcab25

Sometimes there are also settings on the pop mail provider's website that you may need to set up.

10. kika1305

kika1305 Member

ooh and how would I be able to do that for yahoo?

11. sdrawkcab25

Not really sure, I've never used yahoo mail. But I've heard of plenty of problems with yahoo and pop3 service. I believe yahoo offers a yahoo mail app, that uses push technology.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yahoo.mobile.client.android.mail&hl=en

Or can try this:

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/365697-yahoo-mail-problem-solved.html#post2890618

Which is similar to the solution found here:

http://www.khimhoe.net/2011/06/11/how-to-enable-pop3-in-the-new-yahoo-mail-updated-11june2011/

12. kika1305

kika1305 Member

Finally, it worked! It's a little delayed but I get the notification now. I've had someone email me from their email instead of using another one of my own and it's working so far. The issue now is that the timestamp is wrong.

Thank you so much for your help. Would you by any chance know anything about fixing timestamps in emails? 'cause I'm having this issue with the mail app as well as the gmail app.

13. sdrawkcab25

I exclusively use gmail on my phone so I'm not to sure about the time stamps. But I can guess it probably has something to do with time zone settings that can be found in your yahoo account email settings. I would just try different time zones until it lines up with the correct time. There may also be some daylight savings time settings.

kika1305 likes this.