POP Email clarification please

Last Updated:

1. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Im confused by some information on another thread but didn't want to hijack it so wanted to post my question separate.

I am looking to upgrade to a desire in 56 days (not that im counting)

Im a Blackberry user at present so can get my email anywhere via GPRS or WiFi without any issues.

My understanding from the other thread is that if I set up a POP account on the desire I have to use the outgoing SMTP for the carrier that im on (in this case it will be Vodafone) in order to send emails via GPRS or 3G.

Also it seems that as soon as I connect the Desire to WiFi at home (I use Sky BB) the phone will no longer send email out without me changing the outgoing SMTP to the Sky address ?

If this is the case, what happens when I go away working and stay in a hotel that has poor GSM reception but does have WiFi ? will I not be able to use email without knowing the outgoing address of the hotels WiFi ?

If I take my laptop away working I can connect to any WiFi and use my email account without the need to change any settings so why can't I do the same with the desire whether it be my own WiFi network at home or someone elses ?

Slightly confused or maybe missing the point I dont know :confused:

Advertisement
  2. hippy247

hippy247 Well-Known Member

You use the same settings as your pop account, ie I am with SKY BB and my incoming and outgoing servers are both sky, you shouldn't be using vodaphones servers. Your pop account will be able to work using wifi. Just set your account up the same as you usualy would.

Bully74uk likes this.
  3. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware its down to the smtp servers of the account your using.

Most if not all ISP's block outside access of their servers for reasons of security and mass spam email.

Depending how you access your work email it may work no matter where you are in the world.

At the moment if you want to use VirginMedia, TalkTalk etc, email addresses on any device, phone or laptop etc using a native client, then the outgoing server must be that of the conenction you are using.

You can always use webmail via a browser and that will work no matter where.

If you are using POP/IMAP addresses though then the incoming server will always be the same of the address its associated with, but the outgoing will depend on the connection you are using.

I am not an expert with all ISP's of course but I know with TalkTalk the outgoing can be smtp.talktalk.net but only if your connected via Wifi to TalkTalk at the time. If your on a Vodafone connection out and about in the city then you would need to change your outgoing server to vodafones.

4. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

Ive just remembered.

Dont Sky use a modified version of Googlemail anyway for their email servers?
    If so then you should be able to just use Sky's outgoing server not matter what connection your on.

A bit like the native Gmail app already built into the device.

5. hippy247

hippy247 Well-Known Member

No you dont. I am with sky and my pop email settings on my desire are exactly the same as my settings on my laptop. You dont have to run the outgoing settings through your mobile provider :)

6. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

7. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

I apologise if I may have confused some people on here but Sky are using a different way of accessing their email to some other providers.

8. Bully74uk

Bully74uk Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks Hippy, I was kinda thinking this should be the case but the other thread threw me a bit.

No problem Wozza, im certainly no expert on email and have had the luxury of the Blackberry service for some time.

9. WozzaX

WozzaX Well-Known Member

To be honest all my ISP and 3rd party emails get routed through Gmail anyway so I dont have to worry about these kinds of things.

I just know about TalkTalk's email servers (as I am an employee) and thought most of the other ISP's were the same.

Looks like they are all migrating to the Google servers for access which is better in my opinion anyway.