• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help POP EMail Problems

I use e-mail on my Gio with four different Pop accounts.
At first this seemed to work fine but after some time the connection to the Pop3 servers seems to fail. It waits forever to get the mail.
It is not possible to "download" the mail any more until I reboot the device. Then it works fine again for some time. (several hours)
Something freezes but I don;t know what is is.

Anybody else with this issue??

Update:
I probably found out when it occurs, when I switch at home from 3G to wifi and back again it seems to stop communicating. I presume something wrong with DNS....

Upvote 0
I use e-mail on my Gio with four different Pop accounts.
At first this seemed to work fine but after some time the connection to the Pop3 servers seems to fail. It waits forever to get the mail.
It is not possible to "download" the mail any more until I reboot the device. Then it works fine again for some time. (several hours)
Something freezes but I don;t know what is is.

Anybody else with this issue??

Update:
I probably found out when it occurs, when I switch at home from 3G to wifi and back again it seems to stop communicating. I presume something wrong with DNS....

I have deleted all my accounts, put them in again, problem seems to be solved.
NOPE. Still having freezes in downloading the a-mail this morning.... ))-:

Upvote 0
More than two years have passed after the first comment and still no solution?!!
I bought my galaxy s2 a month ago, rooted it, opened 3g on my mobile cell provider and tried to setup my firm's domain mail account. It is a POP3 email account like abc@abc-firm.com.. which i had no problem when i tried to use it on my ex-blackberry.
Anyway, on my first attempt to MANUALLY setup my pop3 account on my new android based phone i had a note telling me that i "failed to connect to server". At first i thought that i was doing something wrong, but i was unable to find the problem. I entered every data right, port number, server name, user name, password,etc.. but my phone continued with the same note.
Then i gave up on manual setup and tried automatic setup. I entered my account name, my password, ticked premium account(POP/IMAP) box and confirmed the setup like this... AND THAT WAS IT!!. My account was all set up and ready for use!!
Then i composed a test mail on my gmail account and sent it to my POP3 account and started to wait its arrival........ten minutes have passed and nothing happened..... i mean i know that even the blackberry has some delay time but this was pretty long.... I wondered why and opened my POP3 mail account, tapped incoming mail and after 4-5 seconds of refresh i heard a beep telling me i had a mail. I said myself "idiot!! of course it doesn't beep automatically because you haven't chosen an automatic sync/refresh time" I searched through all options that may have a setup button for refresh/sync rate of my account but i couldn't find any.
Now i'm used to manually refresh my incoming box to see if there's something new. I enter my account, tap the incoming box and then new mail starts to come.
My question is: Is there a way for my POP3 account to automatically inform me about new incoming mails just like gmail does?
And my other question is: Is there a way to manually setup my pop3 account without having a "unable to connect to the server" note?

Upvote 0
Reply to thread - tap email account - menu - more-settings - email frequency. do it for each account...but I'm sure you've sussed it already

This isn't a rant - its a post I wish I could have found about 20 straight hours of stress ago !

I spent many hours searching through forums trying to get help re email and Galaxy S2. I used to have a blackberry and naively thought smartphones would push email. Well only gmail. I have email on 2 other clients for business (blue yonder and 123reg). Put my gmail on first to sync because I thought I needed a gmail account with an S2. First tried putting both pop accounts on as well, but the send receive was erratic to say least. Spent money on some gmail apps thinking they would help. Then read to link other accounts to gmail which will push all. It does, eventually 1 or 2 hours later. Ended up getting rid of gmail (phone reset) and changing pop to imap. Everything now works at last. Importing contacts bit more complicated using csv file and kies air. Ok for csv import but awful for anything else - just use windows media player if poss.

Lots of apps (which I need) require gmail, but I am worried to link the account back up, in case everything goes haywire again.

I think its important that people coming from Blackberry are made aware that setting up multiple accounts is not like blackberry rim system.

When I pluck up the courage I will put the gmail account back - not just yet!!

Oh, I should say that overall the S2 is an outstanding piece of tech

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones