• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

POP Mail Setup - Account Settings change

Neil UK

Lurker
Jun 28, 2010
I have setup and tested my personal email on my new HTC Desire and all seems fine, then when I get home and manually check my email on my Outlook client I seem to have received about 4 emails but none to my phone.

When I go into my settings on my phone, the SMTP server settings for mail have changed.

For example when I set it up it should be say:

POP Server: mail.neilsdomain.com
POP Username: neil@neilsdomain.com

SMTP Server: smtp.ispname.co.uk
SMTP Username: neil@ispname.co.uk

I test this and all works wonderfully and mail flows into my phone.

Then for some unknown reason when I come out and go back in the SMTP settings have changed by themselves to:

SMTP Server: smtp.ispname.co.uk
SMTP Username: neil@neilsdomain.com

Why would the SMTP Username change?!

Hope someone can help.

Not heard of settings changing, but I did have issues when first setting up my POP email accounts. If I remember correctly, there was a point where you enter the server names and when the screen refreshed it looked like it had failed and I entered the info again. However, the last entry wasn't a failure - it was a different screen that looked almost identical to the previous screen, but with 'mydomain' insterted as default instead of the correct 'smtpserver' name.

With the incorrect settings, some functions worked while others resulted in an error message. And of course my email service on my PC continued to work without any problems.

The only thing I can suggest is to enter the info again and check/double check every texts entry box before moving to the next screen. The phone doesn't know if the info is correct, so the first time you see a problem is when it fails to send or receive email.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones