POP mailbox - strange happenings

Last Updated:

1. Uranus

Uranus Member This Topic's Starter

Hey all,
    Got my Hero almost on release date from Orange Uk. Im well happy with it especially after the ROM update (official Orange one from HTC)

I suffered from the missing SMS problem thats mentioned in another thread on here but I installed SMS2mailbox and that seems to be sorted now.

I dont use my gmail account as my main email account I use my ISP which is Sky. I have a strange hit and miss problem with the POP mailbox and I wondered if anyone else suffers from it or knows a fix.

I have the email account set up on the Hero and it shows mail in my mailbox no problem, the issue I have is that it randomly deletes mails from my POP server and only keeps the copy on the phone.

I hope I explained that ok - heres an example. I get sent 5 emails in a day while Im at work. I check my Hero mail app and it shows them all. when I get home I open my Outlook client on my PC and only 4 emails come down. I can check on the phone and it still displays the 5
    First I thought it was a phone setting but the 'Delete Mail on Server' is definitely set to off

This happened before and after the ROM update.

I wonder if it is peculiar to Skys mail servers

Anybody? Thought comments, ideas very welcome

Cheers
    Ad

PS - Thanks for this wonderful forum, its by far the best Ive found

Advertisement
  2. chris-j

chris-j New Member

Could the email which vanished have had an expiry date. Normally POP mailboxes empty once they download, would you not be better using Skys IMAP settings for the phone download - this should definitely only download to phone.

3. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman Member

I'm with Sky too, though I don't use their Mail services, however, I have just checked out their Mail service and they do use Gmail and I've also checked the settings and they do support IMAP so I suggest you switch to IMAP as it synchronises better and I've found it to be more reliable than POP.

Failing that, just look over the settings on the Web interface (particularly in the POP Download section point 2). ;)

4. Uranus

Uranus Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks alot guys, Ill look into that.
    :)

Edit:
    Found this on Skys mail config page
    Should I use POP3 or IMAP?
    If you're trying to decide between using POP3 and using IMAP, we recommend you use IMAP with Sky Email. POP3 is prone to losing messages or downloading the same messages multiple times, but IMAP synchronises your mail clients and your web-based Sky Email more effectively.

Thanks again, Ill report back in a few days.