• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

pop up takes over browser

makoti

Lurker
Feb 19, 2012
I am using Dolphin HD 8.2.1 on my Bionic. Lately, I'll get this pop-up that promises I've won something in my town & I need to click "OK" to continue. If I don't click "ok", I can't go back, say no, or do anything other than close the browser. When I open it back up, I'm in the same spot. All I've been able to do it re-boot the phone to get out of it. A complete pita.
The pop-up is for rewardstoday.org. Never clicked "ok", so no idea of where it wants to take me. It has happened on several different sites, so it's not just one site that is the problem.
Anybody else run across this? How do you stop it? Or at least get out of it?
Thanks!

It's aggressive advertising, known as AirPush and similar.

Look in your browser's settings and set the hijacked browser home page back to a site like Google.

The app which had created that mess might be still on your phone ... recently installed or updated.
Install Lookout's 'Ad Network Detector' to find this culprit app.

Lookout Ad Network Detector

Harry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones