• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pop-Ups on Android Forums Lately

Anyone else getting this pop-up ad for the Epic from some third party seller on almost every page?

epic%20pop-up.JPG

Seriously? Once is too much. But every page is enough to make me pull my hair out. Yes, I could (should) install Ad-Block. But I really haven't felt that I needed it until the ads got so intrusive here recently.

Ad leads to: pocketnow.com/hardware-1/samsung-galaxy-s-gt-i9000-review

Edit: 12:22pm Seems to have stopped. Whew!

Upvote 0
It was happening in every browser I tried yesterday, with no pop ups and adblock set to disable them.. so it defeats those settings.

The site administrator does not like them either, and is working to get it changed.

For what it's worth, they stopped after about one hour even of popping up with every page change here (every link clicked).. it was either timed or perhaps a certain number of clicks, not sure which, but it did stop suddenly.

Upvote 0
As mentioned before, the site admins and owner do not like the members to experience intrusive ads, so they contact the originators of those ads as soon as they can to have them stopped.

It's a free site for members, unless the member opts to go "premium" and pay an annual fee, so the ads are needed.. costs of running huge servers for a site this large are constantly going up and are now so high that many forum operators run at a loss or just break even.

It's an ongoing process. This is the best device oriented forum cluster I've ever seen, so a bit of annoyance now and then is a small price to pay for what we get be coming here on a regular basis.

Upvote 0
And just now, every single time my screen refreshes the Radio Shack ad pops up at the bottom of the screen. It isn't malware, trojans, etc. And it only happens on this site. It must have just started a little while ago.

If it is still happening when I log off tonight I won't be logging back on. There are other Android sites without ads blocking what's on the screen.

Upvote 0
I have the same complaint... I've been trying to get the ip to add to the hosts file but I haven't been successful yet. It's amazing to me they think they'll get sales from people by badgering them with ads like this. I don't mind banners and ads on the site, but this one is really annoying.

I searched for radio shack looking for a thread with someone complining about it to add my comments to. I knew there would be at least one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones