1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

POP vs. Imap

Last Updated:

1. vanessac

vanessac New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi!
    I have a Samsung Epic moving from the BB Tour so I am still working out email customization. I downloaded K-9 but had issues where it kept giving me an error message so I uninstalled and re-installed.
    Now that I am going to set it up again, I am trying to figure out what the best option is on setting it up.
    I have Gmail and 3 POP accounts which are available in IMAP as well. I heard someone from the Sprint store mentioning porting through the Gmail account as well.
    What is the best option for these type of accounts? Porting through Gmail (and how is this done?), setting up the accounts as POP or setting them up through IMAP?
    Thanks for the help!!
    Vanessa

Advertisement
  2. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

In order from the best option to the worst:

1. Setting up all addresses as IMAP.
    2. Getting your other emails to be forwarded to GMail and assigned labels with the use of filters and setting up GMail as IMAP.
    3. Setting up GMail as IMAP and the rest as POP.

The main difference between POP and IMAP is that in POP the phone sends requests to the server at specified intervals checking if there are any new emails. This means more battery drain as the app using POP will connect to the net from time to time not knowing if there is anything new on the server or not.

With IMAp it is pretty different because here it is the server that pushes information to the phone. The phone does not need to query the server to make sure there are new emails there, when one arrives the server will push it to the phone. Less hassle, less battery drain and emails arrive faster (unless your POP account is set to poll the server every 3-5 minutes, but that would mean huuuuge battery drain).

3. vanessac

vanessac New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the help!