• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Pop3 email set up

Arsonman

Nov 5, 2009
I can not get my two emails to set up. I have two accounts with road runner. Is there something I should know. Everytime I attempt to set up the email the phone gives me a message "setup could not finish" "unable to open connection to server". Any help would be great. Thanks

I can not get my two emails to set up. I have two accounts with road runner. Is there something I should know. Everytime I attempt to set up the email the phone gives me a message "setup could not finish" "unable to open connection to server". Any help would be great. Thanks

I'm not sure if this will help or not. (I did not set up my RR on the phone.) I have a work email and I was having trouble getting it set up. The default port for Verizon is 587 (or something like that). When I changed to port 25, it worked fine. That was with me putting in the work incoming and outgoing servers in those boxes.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if this will help or not. (I did not set up my RR on the phone.) I have a work email and I was having trouble getting it set up. The default port for Verizon is 587 (or something like that). When I changed to port 25, it worked fine. That was with me putting in the work incoming and outgoing servers in those boxes.

This did not work, thanks for your the attempt to help.

Upvote 0
Obviously I am doing something wrong. When I try to set up the email I get the screen to enter my email and password. The next screen brings up the my "username" then the next line is "password" then POP3 server which is "wi.rr.com. Next is port "110". Next is security type 'none" and the last is Delete email from server "none.

I hit the next key and that is where the message comes up.

Upvote 0
Obviously I am doing something wrong. When I try to set up the email I get the screen to enter my email and password. The next screen brings up the my "username" then the next line is "password" then POP3 server which is "wi.rr.com. Next is port "110". Next is security type 'none" and the last is Delete email from server "none.

I hit the next key and that is where the message comes up.

In Cincinnati, the pop3 server is pop-server.cinci.rr.com. If I just put in cinci.rr.com it would not work. I just looked it up and it is the same for Wisconsin:

Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
incoming mail server: pop-server.wi.rr.com
outgoing mail server: smtp-server.wi.rr.com

Upvote 0
In Cincinnati, the pop3 server is pop-server.cinci.rr.com. If I just put in cinci.rr.com it would not work. I just looked it up and it is the same for Wisconsin:

Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
incoming mail server: pop-server.wi.rr.com
outgoing mail server: smtp-server.wi.rr.com

It will take the pop-server.wi.rr.com but when I do the smtp-server.wi.rr.com it still says that it can not connect. I changed the smtp port to 25 as someone suggested above but that did not work either.

I want to say thank you for all of your help so far. I came from a BB Storm and all I can say is that these forums are 110% more helpful and peaceful than the crackberry crowd.

Upvote 0
It will take the pop-server.wi.rr.com but when I do the smtp-server.wi.rr.com it still says that it can not connect. I changed the smtp port to 25 as someone suggested above but that did not work either.

I want to say thank you for all of your help so far. I came from a BB Storm and all I can say is that these forums are 110% more helpful and peaceful than the crackberry crowd.

I didn't put my rr account on my phone because most of the emails are junk anyway (except for the great jokes from my dad). I have that account on my laptop computer. When I take my laptop to work, I cannot send mail out using rr because they do not allow their outgoing server to be used when you are not connected to their network. I have to use my work smtp server settings if I want to send mail out. It is very possible that this is the issue with the Droid settings while you are connecting using the Verizon network.

Upvote 0
We may also need to research this problem from another angle as well. In trying to set up a new e-mail account on my bellsouth.net account a few weeks ago I was hit with a problem of the SMTP server not synchronizing because it was blocked by Bellsouth. Since then I have learned that this has become common place for port blocking from major email servers to prevent spam. I have only recently been able to activate a new e-mail on outlook, but other than that any other pop3 account sync will not work. Not saying that this is the issue, but could have something to do with it.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for your help adding my roadrunner e-mail account! I was clueless about the incoming and outgoing server names. I live in El Paso TX so I just substituted my elp.rr.com designation into the advice posted by Sensisnow. Also where it says "edit details" I added @elp.rr.com to complete my user name. The account is up and running!

For incoming server it would be pop.wi.rr.com

Outgoing would be smtp.wi.rr.com

Use the ports listed above and you should be good to go. Also, at least with my TW account, you need to use your entire email address as your username. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

Thanks so much for the help! My gmail was working and my RR POP account was getting emails on my droid but wouldn't send on the smtp. I changed the smtp port to 25 and bingo everything is working great!

Upvote 0
I was continuing to have problems setting up my bellsouth pop3 mail account with my new motorola droid, but i just found a way around this whole issue. Route your email through gmail. go to gmail on your pc, click settings, then accounts and imports. Then add pop3 account. use mail fetcher to retrieve and send messages through gmail. you can even set it up to have your outgoing messages still appear as though they are coming from your original email account. Hope this helps someone

Upvote 0
I did find that the droid would only send from the RR smtp when I was home connected the the RR wireless network. I've configured the gmail pop routing as PTSAMS mentioned and it seemed to work but I'm still a little confused at how to send out email from the droid and have it show as being sent from the rr account.
If someone has set that up could you explain how you worked it out.
Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I just read through this thread and figured out how to configure my road runner email today and it works great. Here is what I did:

Open up email and type in you .rr.com email and password. When the next screen comes up, go to the POP3 bar and before what is already there, type in this exactly: pop-server.wi.rr.com, or what ever your state is. The dash between pop and server is the key here. Click next, this should bring up the next screen to configure the outgoing mail server. Go down to outgoing mail server (smtp) and put in: smtp-server.wi.rr.com. Uncheck the box below that says login in required and hit next.

This should do it for all of you having problems. There is no need to change the ports or anything else. Make sure you put the dashes between the above words and it should work fine.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones