• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help POP3 Email Use

mctmct10

Lurker
Nov 28, 2009
My droid keeps downloading my emails after I delete them so i've stopped deleting my emails and i just let the droid display the normal 25 emails at at time. Does the Droid simply copy over the old emails that were previously displayed or are they still taking up memory somewhere else. If so, how do you clear that memory.

As mentioned, POP3 has issues. Especially with Yahoo Mail.

I have found that it will continually download messages until you actually read them. Particularly messages with attachments. If you mark normal emails as "read" and delete them they should not come back. However, if you mark an email with attachment as "read" and delete it without opening it, it WILL come back as NEW. You must open and allow attachment emails to fully load before deleting them or the deletion will not "take". This has been reported to google as a problem so hopefully it will get addressed in the near future.

As long as I open and load every message with an attachment I do not get messages reappearing.

Upvote 0
My Droid email goes to sleep every night and needs to be "woken" each morning. Last night the last email it downloaded had a time stamp of 1:14 am. Nothing else came in until I woke it up this morning by turning it off and on. This happens EVERY night. I can't figure out why it will stop working when it seemingly works (not great, but works) all day. Is there some sort of time out in the application that turns off its ability to download email after a certain amount of time of non-use? From reading these forums and the google code boards, I am not alone. Needs fixing!

Upvote 0
My Droid email goes to sleep every night and needs to be "woken" each morning. Last night the last email it downloaded had a time stamp of 1:14 am. Nothing else came in until I woke it up this morning by turning it off and on. This happens EVERY night. I can't figure out why it will stop working when it seemingly works (not great, but works) all day. Is there some sort of time out in the application that turns off its ability to download email after a certain amount of time of non-use? From reading these forums and the google code boards, I am not alone. Needs fixing!

I've seen this happen on my phone as well. Posting issues here won't help. Click on that link in the post above and hit star on that page. The feedback goes to Google from there. Also, you can help by posting that link in other threads and forums. If more people hit the star on that post, Google might pay attention to that.

Upvote 0
I've seen this happen on my phone as well. Posting issues here won't help. Click on that link in the post above and hit star on that page. The feedback goes to Google from there. Also, you can help by posting that link in other threads and forums. If more people hit the star on that post, Google might pay attention to that.

Yes.. that is a great suggestion. I have starred many an item in Google feedback already and agree that Google should hear about the issues from as many people as possible. Just seems like they're dragging their heals to fix and hope we'll all abandon our email accounts and use Gmail only.

There are a good many other items on the Project Hosting on Google Code that relate to email issues. If you're headed over there, make sure you star all that are applicable to you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones