• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

POP3 Query with Android

CeePeeBee

Jun 15, 2010
Hi Guys - quite new to Android, but an old hat at smartphones (and I work in IT so tech is my love!).

I previously had a Windows Mobile device which I setup on my POP3 account and grabbed my emails. This worked as follows:

• Connection is made and pulls down latest emails
  • keeps emails on the server (unless setting is changed)
  • If email is read on device, this is not synchronised to the server side and therfore is pulled down again at next sync

I know the above is subject to settings on the client, but I used to use those settings so that when I got home, I would launch my email client and pull down all emails from the server. If you synchronised on the device after that no emails would be shown as none remain on the server.

Now, what I have found on Android's email clients is that if you read the mail on the device, it becomes read on the server and is not pulled down to the email client at a later date (despite the settings telling it to work the same as my old WinMo device)

Anyone wanna shed some light on this.

Happened on K9 Mail and standard email client. I have worked around this using IMAP on my device but it's not ideal

Cheers for help!

I just did a test. I shut down Thunderbird on my PC. Sent myself an email from gmail to a completely different pop3 account. Read the email when it arrived on my phone. Opened up Thunderbird and the message downloaded, and was bold (unread). Using the default POP email client that came with the Hero.

Another test: Sent email from gmail to Pop account. Got the email on my phone. Deleted it. Waited about 10 minutes and opened Thunderbird. The email came through unread.

Summary: Doesn't look like deleting or reading anything on my phone has any effect on the mail server.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones