• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Port current T-Mobile number?

jeffj318

Dec 23, 2011
Can I port my current T-Mobile number (out of contract) after I purchase the Samsung Exhibit II. The rep in the store said yes, however, I have heard this is possibly not so. Please advise.

I plan to buy from Amazon, but as stated above already have a SIM card with my current dumb phone. Thanks!

From my understanding you can almost always port a number.

The best way to do it is go through you're NEW service provider while you still have service with your old service provider.

My experience moving from AT&T to T-Mobile:

• Bought Exhibit
  • Set up new Monthly4G service with new number
  • Called up T-Mobile and asked them to port my number from AT&T
  • They walked me through the process and now I'm back on my old AT&T number
  • Canceled my AT&T service.

Reactions: jeffj318
Upvote 0
Can I port my current T-Mobile number (out of contract) after I purchase the Samsung Exhibit II. The rep in the store said yes, however, I have heard this is possibly not so. Please advise.

I plan to buy from Amazon, but as stated above already have a SIM card with my current dumb phone. Thanks!

If you already have a T-mobile number, you need to ask to "transfer" the number to the new phone; not "port".

You will run into problems if you use the word "port". Porting is only for bringing a number from another carrier.

Good luck.

Reactions: jeffj318
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones