1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Port Forwarding....

1. GIR

GIR Well-Known Member

Hi folks,
    I have occasions that I need to either host a small website in my phone or stream video from it.
    I have the software installed and set up, and works well of Wifi, but how can I get the same service over 3G?
    Has anyone else contacted 3 about this?
    I'd be very interested to hear anything related to this.
    All the best,
    GIR

Advertisement
  2. hunnymonster

hunnymonster Member

Since 3 is probably like most other mobile networks, it will use 'fakenet' (probably 10.0.0.0/8) addresses and NAT them through a proxy - you're at the mercy of the network for getting that port-forwarding done - and I suspect they won't do it.
  3. bherbst

bherbst New Member

I can confirm that 3 in Austria gives you public IPs (not NATed). However, such public IP is protected by the provider (3) by default so that no connections from outside may reach your device. However on the 3 website you may uncheck this. It may take some days for 3 to make this change to take effect but it will allow you to have a mobile server. I tested this using some IP Webcam. It works fine.
    Let me also mention that there is a "Port Forwarder" app in the market that allows you to forward a port to a device in your local subnet that you created using any tethering method.