1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Portable HDD helpGeneral

1. MrFilthy

MrFilthy New Member

I have a 500gb portable HDD and I was wondering if I can plug it in and be able to watch all the videos I have on the HDD on my Acer iconia tab a100? I don't have the right cords to test it myself buy I would like to know before o go out and buy them.

Advertisement
    :
  2. richardd43

richardd43 Member

I think I have the correct cable. Will give it a try and let you know
  3. sutekh137

sutekh137 Member

As far as I know, this requires "USB Host" mode which the A100 lacks (but the A500 possesses).

And also AFAIK, the ICS (Android 4.0) update and recent firmware updates did not change this fact (so it is appears likely that the lack of functionality is hardware based).

It is a shame, as sites like Amazon are vague about the use of USB, mixing terminology for copying files to the Acer itself vs. playing files off an external drive. But I think it simply does not work on the A100, even if the external HDD is fully powered on its own.

I'd love to be proven wrong, so will be subscribing to this thread! *smile*

Thanks,
    sutekh137
  4. richardd43

richardd43 Member

I tried my 2.5in HDD and it does not work.

This is the same HDD I use on my Transformer.
    Vallkar likes this.
  5. Vallkar

Vallkar Member

Dang! I saw this thread and clicked it hoping I would find a different answer.
  6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

You can play off a card. I stuck an NFL playoff game I recorded (VOB format) onto the external SD card and it played from there.

You would probably have to get videos or whatever into a cloud service or dropbox. Then you could download and play at your leisure.