• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Portable Monitor

darkeagle03

Lurker
Dec 20, 2012
I would like to get my brother a portable flat-screen monitor of some kind to take with him on extended work trips (often on a boat). Ideally, this would be:
  • 7" - 13"
  • Battery powered (not require an electrical outlet anyway - USB powered would work if the phone could actually handle that)
  • Easily packable - thin, and any stands should be easily foldable, removable, etc.
  • Provide a suitable framerate for action-oriented games

It does not need to be touch-screen, 1080p, etc.

I'm open to alternative solutions. He has a laptop with him, but minimal control over it since it's government-issued, and I'd be open to hacking a photo frame or cheap tablet for this as long as someone could point me to instructions on how to do so, and the framerate would be acceptable. Unfortunately, I haven't found anything suitable online yet, but it seems like there has to be something... The phone does have HDMI out and we already have the necessary cable. Something like this might work well, but it doesn't appear to be battery powered and i don't know if the phone could send enough power through the USB, or survive for any length of time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones