Portable WiFi Hotspot while charging phone battery?Support

1. chanoaji

chanoaji Member

Is it okay to use the portable wifi hotspot feature on the android phone while charging the phone's battery? Could it ruin the battery?

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Welcome to AF chanoaji :)

Your phone might get a little hot, but it shouldn't cause a massive problem. I've done it with no issues.

What phone do you own? I can move your post there and folks who own the device might be in a better position to assist.
  3. chanoaji

chanoaji Member

Samsung Galaxy S2. I've heard that browsing the internet on a phone while it's charging could ruin the battery over time, shortening overall battery life so I'm concerned wifi hotspot could do the same.
  4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Heat would be the main issue, but modern batteries are designed to stop charging if they get too hot. You'll probably be fine if it's not a massively regular thing.

Which variant of the SGS2 do you have? I can move your phone to that particular forum, the users there will be able to tell you for sure.
  5. chanoaji

chanoaji Member

Boost mobile variant of the sgs2.
  6. Codegerm

Codegerm Well-Known Member

Your main enemy is heat. When your battery gets too warm the phone will stop charging it until it cools down. When charging do not leave in direct sunlight. web surfing on the phone for active things like streaming video (YouTube etc) demands more on the processor and that can warm the phone too over time. Tethering via WiFi hotspot is less demanding than surfing on the phone. Also depending on what you are plugged into affects your charge rate. If plugged into a laptop's usb port, the charge rate is slower than the ac adapter and will have a harder time charging a phone that is actively doing something.

Codegerm