Portfolio case+BT keyboard=XOOM netbook! (pics)Accessories

1. Cheeba

Cheeba Member

I know there are a few threads commenting on the motorola case, and while I agree that the portfolio case could be a little better, combined with the BT keyboard the combination works quit well.

I like the angle that the case allows you to setup the xoom. There is a notch on the case that is perfect for setting the keyboard on. Combined together the two work quite well!

I like the keyboard very much also. It's full size, which I like, but is very light and thin. Keys have good feedback and are spaced nicely. Bit pricey but the dedicated android keys are nice and for long posts the keyboard really helps.

Sorry pics so large, just getting the hang of this :eek: And yes, I still have the plastic wrapping around the edge of my XOOM :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Advertisement
    :
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

i still have the plastic on the edge and on the moto logo on the keyboard. indeed its a nice design and set up. im just saddened in that it can scratch the edges... :-( i so wanna like the folio case...
  3. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

FWIW, I've successfully paired my Xoom with the Apple BT (Aluminum) keyboard.
    marctronixx likes this.
  4. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

Is the keyboard really effective without a mouse?
  5. kencrudup

The "Tab" key navigates fairly well.
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. Cheeba

Cheeba Member

Yes, the arrow and tab keys, combined with the android function keys makes screen navigation easy. Though the majority of the time I just use the touch screen.

I only really use the bt keyboard for long posts or serious editing. In those instances the keyboard/case combo works well.
    marctronixx likes this.
  7. TonyG916

TonyG916 Well-Known Member

the keyboard is awesome...especially if sending emails and using the web. i know $70 or $80 for a keyboard seems high, but it's worth at least to me justifies the cost.

ask the verizon rep to let you test drive...you can control your music from the kb
    marctronixx likes this.
  8. tjreishus

tjreishus Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more. I have the same set up and love it. One of the features I like, is that if you are on your home screen on the xoom, you can just start typing on the keyboard to do a google search. You don't have to click anywhere, just start typing. I love it.
    Dunbar likes this.
  9. kencrudup

One thing to consider too is there's lots of BT keyboards out there- and since they all use the HCI standard, they'll all work. If it weren't for me already having an Apple BT KB, I'd've picked up a smaller one I'd seen at MicroCenter. which would have been more portable.
  10. Cheeba

Cheeba Member

Thanks for that tip! I didn't know that. Very useful feature :)
  11. Dunbar

Dunbar Active Member

That's great. Can anyone recommend a cheap-yet-decent keyboard?
  12. Maddingo

Maddingo Well-Known Member

If your looking for a very portable bluetooth keyboard try the Logitech DiNovo mini. Tried mine and it works ok. Keyboard is quite small though.
  13. jhat3k1

jhat3k1 Well-Known Member

It wont be the same. The android specific buttons are what make the experience good. If your worried about the 80 bucks....you shouldn't have spent 800 on the zoom.
    marctronixx likes this.
  14. Dunbar

Dunbar Active Member

Just because I thought the xoom was worth 800 dollars does not mean that from now on any product that costs less is suddenly not too expensive. Use some common sense.
  15. jhat3k1

jhat3k1 Well-Known Member

Listen genius.....my point is that a person who spends this amount on a device typically goes into it expecting some additional costs for accessories. Common sense dictates going with the best value. 50 for something that doesn't provide full functionality ... or 70 for the android specific keyboard? Use some common sense.
  16. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I think everyone just needs to chill. Like the other guy stated, he didn't think 70 was worth it for the keyboard, his choice. I understand you don't mind spending the money for the keyboard since you already spent a lot for the Xoom, everyone is different.

He thought the price was justified for the Xoom but not the keyboard. I personally and still up in the air about the keyboard. Lets all just get along. ;)
  17. ren857

ren857 Well-Known Member

IMO, the keyboard is totally worth it - the android-specific buttons are awesome. It makes it so easy to jump around to the major applications. I'm typing on it now!
    marctronixx likes this.
  18. kiteOregon

kiteOregon New Member

marctronixx: how did you get the apple keyboard to work, i have been trying as well.
  19. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

I don't have the apple keyboard. I've got the Motorola version.
  20. haasd0gg

haasd0gg Member

Just got my Xoom wifi version. I'm in love.
    I run forums of my own, and don't care much for necro-ing threads, but I think this week will bring more visitors looking for a good case/keyboard combo. After looking at cases until my eyes bled, I found this little setup on eBay for a mere $40. It has the apple keyboard... I will post again after I receive it.
    You can't beat the price, for sure. Fingers crossed.
    [​IMG]

Edit: I missed this page of the topic. Someone else was the necro :) . After reading here about the special buttons on the android keyboard, I am already considering replacing the one I just bought. Hopefully the case itself warrants the money spent. Lol@me (again)
  21. clb2196

clb2196 Well-Known Member

I'm curious how that works for you. I'd love a case like that (I do have the android keyboard) but it doesnt look like any would fit the Xoom.
  22. haasd0gg

haasd0gg Member

Got the case...
    The keyboard sync right up and the tab fits pretty well BUT it sits a little low, the edges of the frame need trimming and I need to drill a hole for power button access. It really is made for an I pad.
    I'm officially back on the hunt.
    marctronixx likes this.
  23. haasd0gg

haasd0gg Member

I'm still searching for that perfect folio/keyboard combo.
    In the meantime, this case works like a champ. Its sturdy and has a light magnetic closure and, most importantly, gives access to all ports and buttons. Its made for the xoom...
    Certainly $12 well spent.

Xoom Case
  24. rjoudrey

rjoudrey Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

SolidTek 3962 BT, waiting for mouse support for trackpad.