Porting 2.3 to the LG Ally

1. ccsoccer03

ccsoccer03 Well-Known Member

So from what I've read, performance wise... 2.3 should be easily obtainable if not even better than 2.2. Now I realize we just got 2.2, but is it an easier hop to 2.3? or is it as a big a step as 2.1 was to 2.2? I have to say I am so much more impressed with this phone having 2.2. It's like night and day. Thank you for Velocity 1.0 From all you hard working developers out there.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Trident

Trident VIP Member VIP Member

There is a 2.3 port out there, but it was never released to the public. Reason being that radio does not work entirely and wifi cannot resolve an ip address. In other words, its basically useless a the moment. We need Code Aurora to create a Gingerbread branch like Froyo Almond and Chocolate Eclair before we have any hope of either of these working.
    Scrillex, Cyberzerous and ccsoccer03 like this.
  3. bnitty

bnitty Well-Known Member

my struggles from 2.1 to 2.2 continues...
  4. ccsoccer03

lexqt488 likes this.
  5. Viper05

Viper05 Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm thrilled we got an awesome custom Froyo Rom... I don't really see how we'd benefit from Gingerbread on our phones other than bragging rights.
  6. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Well-Known Member

Ya, what features does Gingerbread have?
  7. NickAVV

NickAVV Active Member

Gingerbread has more optimizations, and better OpenGL support for graphics rendering. It also has much better text highlighting with big handles, it has a downloads application for managing your downloaded files from all apps, interface improvements like orange glows when you hit a list end.. oh, VoIP is built in as well, and awesomly better power management and app management screens.

Its nothing necessary, certainly not the same jump as Eclair to Froyo, but still really nice stuff. It just seems more polished than Froyo
    ccsoccer03 likes this.
  8. death2all110

death2all110 VIP Member VIP Member

just because the code supports our processor doesn't mean it supports the phone. Until we can get the radio working, a publicly released port wont happen. The radio is what the devices uses for 3G and whatnot.
    ccsoccer03 likes this.
  9. codala1810

codala1810 Active Member

thank you d2a. although i would love to see gingerbread on the ally, i wouldnt want it without the radio. ya it would b fun to play with, but it takes away the whole phone portion if we cant use it. d2a u are a god, and i will b making a healthy donation to you and the velocity team by the end of the month.
    thank you for all of your hard work
  10. getitnowmarketing

getitnowmarketing Well-Known Member Developer

Time permitting I may try gingerbread again in the next few weeks. Hope I can get the radio issues solved this time.
    Nemesiis, Scrillex, k.c.cole and 3 others like this.
  11. yohobojo

yohobojo Well-Known Member

Roots for gnm! Go gnm Go!
  12. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

Hey I think that is AWESOME!!
    but may I ask... Why. What will we gain by this. DOes Gingerbread have somthing we dont now?
    Is there anyway we are really going to get this phone faster than you have already done?

I just dont know the Difference between 2.2 and 2.3 I guess.
  13. yohobojo

What is great about gingerbread? We're not getting flash player. Is it faster than froyo? Because froyo is plenty fast already
  14. ccsoccer03

Please read toward the top of the post. Its right there
  15. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

Thanks Bro
    I guess I even get caught not reading sometimes.
  16. yohobojo

So, is gingerbread faster than froyo?
  17. elements80

elements80 New Member

That would be amazing if you could get it working