• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Porting Android To Non-G1 Phones - How Soon?

Tyler Durden

Lurker
Oct 26, 2008
So I, like many others, am looking forward to this great OS to be ported to other phones (mainly the HTC Touch HD/T8290). Does anyone have information as to how far these projects are coming along? And by that I mean using Android as a workable OS on any phone besides the G1, not just HTC phones. I am very interested as to how soon we can expect to see Android on other phones.

/discuss

While it may not be impossible to get android onto other older or current phones its unlikely. The hardware generally has to meet specific specs for it to work. So don't expect the iPhone to be running android anytime soon.

More Android phones should be out in about a year from a variety of manufactures.

Upvote 0
While it may not be impossible to get android onto other older or current phones its unlikely. The hardware generally has to meet specific specs for it to work. So don't expect the iPhone to be running android anytime soon.

More Android phones should be out in about a year from a variety of manufactures.
I managed to test Android on an HTC S620 today. While GSM etc don't work yet, the OS itself does, and indeed very well (I was surprised). Just one thing - does anyone know how to reset Android from the OS itself, e.g. the console? This would help me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones