• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Porting ClockWorkMod to the Kyocera Rise

Sorry, I know my post doesn't fit in this thread but please help me. I was not able to get any answer. =[ please help....

Hello, everyone.
I have Kyocera Rise VM (I also got this phone for $30 during 2012 BlackFriday :)). I was browsing online on my phone then suddenly I get error messages on my phone saying "could not load googleplay", "could not load this and that programs..." so I removed the battery and restarted the phone (just restarting my phone this way several times in the past fixed the problem). When I turned it back on, it is now stuck at the boot logo (RiSE by KYOCERA). Factory Reset in the recovery mode didn't fix the problem. One thing I noticed while I was in the recovery mode screen was that there was an error message on the bottom which says:

E:Cannot load volume /misc!
E:failed to mount /sysprop (Invalid argument)

then I hit the factory reset button,

-- Wiping data...
Formatting /data...
Formatting /cache...
Data wipe complete.
E; Cannot load volume /misc!

My phone is rooted and stock ROM (couldn't find a custom ROM to flash so I left it as stock) and stock recovery mode. The main reason I rooted my phone was to delete the camera shutter sound and the boot sound files.

Thank you for reading my post!

Upvote 0
ok guys Chinese android site here no offence to our site of course but they do refer to xda and use stuff from our type of sites /// no racisism remark but decided too search and see how other places and countries where doing with the rise its a bit hard for me too understand there language even with googlechrome but they talk about the rise and defy and show screenshots and cwm so iam gonna link there site here for u guys too reasearch with googlechrome browser or another chinese to english translation engine but i believe they did it not too get you guys hopes up or nothing soo no false hope just take a look and have ur translation software ready and leach as much info as u can before they catch on ok

http://bbs.angeeks.com/thread-2484541-1-1.html

Upvote 0
ok guys Chinese android site here no offence to our site of course but they do refer to xda and use stuff from our type of sites /// no racisism remark but decided too search and see how other places and countries where doing with the rise its a bit hard for me too understand there language even with googlechrome but they talk about the rise and defy and show screenshots and cwm so iam gonna link there site here for u guys too reasearch with googlechrome browser or another chinese to english translation engine but i believe they did it not too get you guys hopes up or nothing soo no false hope just take a look and have ur translation software ready and leach as much info as u can before they catch on ok

http://bbs.angeeks.com/thread-2484541-1-1.html

Upvote 0
Hey, have you tried building the bootloader from source? That might be a viable option. I'm pretty sure the bootloader on our phone is the LK Bootloader, so building it from source might work.

I have not, but I like the idea. If I can get my hands on an extra phone that'd be fun to try. Wouldn't that be something if that's all it took? So much for security!

My worry is that the sources needed for our chipset aren't there. I haven't looked in to it very far though so maybe that's not an issue.

Upvote 0
if anyone wants too look iam trying japan cause they own most shares of sprint and on the verge of takeing over sprint i did find this but the main carriers in japan are willcom & softbank iam trying random googlechrome searchs with kyocera rise cwm & hydro also useing openvpn so that my ip address doesnt lead too me as iam doing this as a precaution but since iam not a good android programer i could look forever the best thing i can think of is see if theres a diffrent name for the rise & hydro in japan or exact phone with diffrent name and typeing in kyocera rise softbank willcome cwm and getting tons of all jap related results that do eventually turn into english but since it would prob be easyer for you guys too pick up on what u need vs me ill add just the last thing i found which was this link below i shouldve saved the front page first but it was a japanese guy that came to america too check out the kyocera rise and hydro in radio shack & bestbuy and diffrent areas testing out the phones quirks over here or main complaints amung prepaid carriers theres openvpn which is difficult for some too use for vpn & theres
https://www.privatetunnel.com/ only offers 100mb though a month free but no fee just once u use it up ur not protected till the next month &
OpenVPN - Open Source VPN which is unlimited ,sorry bout this long post , and ill step back again and let u guys work hopefully iam not a annoyanus or bother guys
http://www.vpnbook.com/ unlimited Free

http://blog.nunnun.jp/Technology/modify_framework_odex_on_non_deodexed_rom.html

Upvote 0
I have not, but I like the idea. If I can get my hands on an extra phone that'd be fun to try. Wouldn't that be something if that's all it took? So much for security!

My worry is that the sources needed for our chipset aren't there. I haven't looked in to it very far though so maybe that's not an issue.

Well, the rise uses the MSM7x30 (i think, just off the top of my head) chipset, and LK should support it out of the box. Now, I also havent looked into getting the source for LK yet. I also don't know very much about what the bootloader needs to boot everything up.

Upvote 0
Yes the msm8655 is msm7x30_surf board
Here is another round of ideas
Casio C771 Unlock Bootloader and Install GNM Recovery via Fastboot - Android Forums
One we get unsecured boot, I will be more than happy to help or just build cwm, and an overclocked kernel. This phone should hit 1.8ghz with this processor

Nice! Now we just need to figure out how to accomplish this......Hmm, If anyone wants to try, we could attempt to build the bootloader from source. I would try myself, but my ubuntu install is being really fickle right now, so i'm stuck with Windows.

Upvote 0
Another thing, CALL KYOCERA and make a ticket request for unlocking the bootloader, and setting up a developer site.
I was on with them for a good half an hour today, also asked them to come here and try to participate in the Android Forums community.

But keep on them, emails, tech calls
tell them HTC, SEMC, and Samsung have done it, time to jump on the bandwagon :)

Reactions: db2
Upvote 0
I think after I get my tax return (so I have some money to burn) I'm gonna try to get the c5156 bootloader onto the c5155. If we can even get clockwork running part time, at least we can make an official nandroid. Until then, I'm not going to be crazy flashing much. I'm also busy with school, so I need to stop having all this fun. :D

Yeah, it didn't work. I have a pretty bootloop going on. :S

Upvote 0
I just had an idea. As much as I am against trying to get Target/Virgin/Kyocera to replace a user bricked phone, wouldn't this be a good opportunity to bug Kyocera to fix it? Maybe they have some secret flashing utility ...

Anyone see what I am getting at?

I haven't bugged Kyocera to fix it myself, but I do recall others mentioning it. They pretty much got the cold shoulder. Kyocera just passes it to Virgin Mobile, who is more likely to fix it.

Upvote 0
It is a tool for reengineering 3rd party, closed, binary Android apps. It can decode resources to nearly original form and rebuild them after making some modifications; it makes possible to debug smali code step by step. Also it makes working with app easier because of project-like files structure and automation of some repetitive tasks like building apk, etc.

It is NOT intended for piracy and other non-legal uses. It could be used for localizing, adding some features or support for custom platforms and other GOOD purposes. Just try to be fair with authors of an app, that you use and probably like.

Features:

decoding resources to nearly original form smali debugging: SmaliDebugging helping with some repetitive tasks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones