• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Porting my number to T-mobile prepaid

blarelli

Mar 26, 2011
Hey guys,
I have a number through Sprint that I am trying to port over to T-mobile to use the $30 prepaid unlimited data plan. I have the phone and went to Walmart and was informed that they didn't have any loose sim cards there, so they couldn't help me.
I then went to a T-mobile store where I was told they can't do the $30 unlimited data plan, so they gave me a sim card and sent me back to Walmart.
Walmart then informed me that they couldn't activate the sim because it wasn't from one of their kits and that they didn't have the ability to port a number to a prepaid phone (which I know is BS).
I'm a bit pissed at the moment so I'm not even going to try calling T-mobile to get things worked out until tomorrow, but I'm wondering if I can get some info from anybody else who has gone through this before.

How long of a phone call is this going to take to get my number moved, and get this whole show on the road?

How long will it take to have the number ported over?

What information do I need to have ready to go once I call? (account number, password, billing address, etc?)

Thanks for the help guys.

The $30 plan is available through T-Mobile's web site, however the Support FAQ states that if porting a number to a prepaid phone, you have to go to a T-Mobile store.

If the store doesn't offer this plan, then how does one get it without having to go to Walmart? Does the T-Mobile web site now allow you to port a number while activating a new prepaid phone?

I'm contemplating going back to T-Mobile from metroPCS (the phone number originally was with T-Mobile), but if I have to jump through too many hoops to get this done, then I won't even bother.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones