Porting Number after activiation

Last Updated:

1. uncwmark

uncwmark New Member This Topic's Starter

Hey All,

First time poster. Been lurking for awhile reading all about how awesome the Evo is. Just purchased the HTC Evo from Sprint.com yesterday and received the extra $50 off, making the total cost $150. Looks like I should receive it tomorrow. :)

However, I have a question about porting my number. My current contract with AT&T ends in two weeks. I went ahead and ordered the phone so I could take advantage of the extra $50, not knowing when that offer would end. I've spoken to two different CSRs at Sprint and have received two different answers about what I should do. Being so close to contract fulfullment I don't want to pay an ETF. I was told by the first CSR that it's possible to just have a temporary number assigned to the Evo, which I could activate upon receipt. This would allow me to use it fully for the next two weeks while I wait for my current contract to expire. I was then told I could call back and just port my AT&T number over later? Then, the last CSR I spoke to said that couldn't be done. She advised that I wait two weeks to activate the phone and, when doing so, port my number at that time.

My question to you experts... what should I do? Would there be any issues with porting a number two weeks after activation? I'd obviously prefer to use it during the next couple weeks, but if I have to wait then I guess I will to avoid an ETF. Suggestions??

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. RickyRudy

RickyRudy Active Member

I'm no expert but I had a temporary number when I first got my Evo on launch day, then just this past week I went on another plan, which I opened with a different temporary number. Later that night I ported my number which I've had for 10 years over from Verizon no problems.

3. DarkNeo

DarkNeo Well-Known Member

You can go ahead and do either way. If you activate it now you will have a new number but you can port over your ATT number at any time after that. Of course you will probably be charged an extra month, but on the other hand you are still paying for ATT for another month. If I were you i would go ahead and activate it now and play with it, and get used to it in those 2 weeks then port over the number.

4. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

You can port the number whenever you want. I just did mine today. Called up Sprint said can you recover my number. It took about 20 minutes on their end and then they had me reprogram my phone and it was done. I got my old number back.

5. DarkNeo

Remember when porting a number, that account is automatically canceled. No need to call ATT.

6. Carl6

Carl6 Well-Known Member

Also do not let your AT&T account expire before you port your number. You need to port before that account is closed, or you could lose the number.

7. vudu

vudu Member

Follow up question...I'm porting my number from AT&T also. if during the 30 day guarantee I decide to go with Verizon instead, is there any issue with me then porting the number to Verizon? I'm assuming that will then close my account with Sprint and then I can return the phone to Sprint and still be covered by the risk free guarantee?

8. DarkNeo

Just make sure the account you are porting from is still active.

9. Minjin

Minjin Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to do this tomorrow. I've been living with two phones for nearly 30 days. Goodbye 4000 roll over minutes. :(

10. dwntwnall4u

dwntwnall4u Well-Known Member

Same situation here. Though I may cancel ?? I'm at 28 days now:confused:

11. u71n4444

u71n4444 Member

Not sure if you guys that are porting .. but there is a 100.00 credit for porting your number from another provider. See the link below:
    https://www.sprintportcredit.com/default.aspx

You have to do this within 72hrs of the porting. I hope this helps save some money for some of you EVO lovers out there.

12. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

I thought that that was for corporate accounts only?

OP, you can port in the fashion the first CSR outlined.

13. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Yep, so make sure your contract is up, and then porting should be easy. It was for me.

14. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love VIP Member

Nope, if you don't let your contract expire, you WILL pay AT&T the ETF.
    Just wait until your contract is one day past expiration date and then go to Sprint and get your Evo and port your number then, or get your Evo now with your temporary number and port your AT&T number one day past your contract expiration. That will cancel your AT&T account with no ETF.

15. wrench

wrench Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to buy a new phone with service at Sprint. I'd like to try out Sprint service in my area before canceling my service with TMO. So on the Sprint order form, should I just have Sprint give me a new number and do the port after I've determined that I like Sprint service?