• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Porting Problems

jm101

Nov 15, 2010
Hello:

I am trying to port my number from Virgin Mobile to T-Mobile's $30 100 minutes no contract plan. On Tuesday night I activated my new Optimus L9 on the T-Mobile plan, got a temporary number, then called T-Mobile to start the port. I provided them with the number I wanted to port, the account number (same as phone number), and password to my Virgin Mobile account. They said to give it 24 hours. I called T-Mobile yesterday and this afternoon and they said it's processing. Finally I called Virgin Mobile and they said they do not have a request to port the number. I called T-Mobile and they said that the password they gave them was incorrect or blank. They also said they resubmitted it today. I was also told earlier that it may take 3 days to port from Virgin Mobile since they are a reseller of Sprint. What should I do? Thanks in advance for your help!

My porting of my number from Sprint to T-mobile took 6 hours while I was deep asleep.

I did it thru T-mobile website.

That was easy.

On Tuesday night I was thinking that it might port overnight. Unfortunately it didn't. But it really seems like it'll turn into dual service or even port tomorrow. It's becoming a bit annoying carrying around two phones with me.

Upvote 0
I did a lotta porting a couple of weeks ago. Worst port... TMo (prepaid) TMo (contract). Took freaking forever and 2 phone calls. Well, maybe not forever, but at least 15 - 18 hours. It's only painful for a little while.

It looks like it is transferred. I got a text on my new Optimus L9 saying that it was but I think my old phone still has service. I called T-Mobile and the rep verified that it is dual service.

Upvote 0
thats nuts when i ported it literally took 2 hours

And it's still not completely ported. Haha. Today some texts have been coming in on my Virgin Mobile phone and some have been coming in on my new Optimus L9. If I recall when I ported from T-Mobile to Virgin Mobile almost two years ago it only took around 5 hours or so. I guess I had more luck that time.

Upvote 0
try rebooting both phones might help

Thanks! It looks like I still have 3G on my Virgin Mobile handset. I called T-Mobile and they said that the number has been ported. I also called Virgin Mobile who also said that the number was ported. Since it's prepaid I am not worrying about it. My Virgin Mobile service should shut off soon.

Upvote 0
Thanks! It looks like I still have 3G on my Virgin Mobile handset. I called T-Mobile and they said that the number has been ported. I also called Virgin Mobile who also said that the number was ported. Since it's prepaid I am not worrying about it. My Virgin Mobile service should shut off soon.

Although there are guidelines as to how long it should take to port a number from one carrier to another, unless there is an actual problem somewhere, a port should generally take no more than a few minutes. For example, if you go to a retail location to port a number, they will know almost immediately, if there will be a problem.

Upvote 0
It was around 5 minutes after I sent the information through the web site that the phone received the text message that the phone number has been transferred. So the process, at least porting in to T-Mobile, from Verizon, is very fast.

The verification itself, should occur immediately.

A few minutes after the text message was received indicating the transfer was completed, I placed a call to it and it went through, so the port was completed in 5 minutes. Very fast indeed. :)

Upvote 0
I just ported my number from Virgin mobile yesterday. Once I had my correct account number it took only 10 minutes or so.

You had better luck than me. Haha. I thought it would never port over. For a couple of days I carried both my Optimus V and my new Optimus L9 around. That got annoying fast. :D I thought the Virgin Mobile account number the same as the phone number.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately it looks like there are still porting problems. :( It appears someone on AT&T is not receiving my texts and I am not receiving theirs either.

EDIT: It's starting to make more sense now. That is probably why my Virgin Mobile service didn't shut off. Something is wrong. I tried logging into my account on Virgin Mobile's website and the account is not valid. Both T-Mobile and Virgin Mobile said the port went through. I don't get it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones