Porting # to straight talk?

1. Dmowry

Dmowry Active Member

My question is this:
    I plan to activate my straight talk at&t sim on my nexus 4 with a brand new phone number to try out for 30 days. If all goes well and I like the service can I then port my current # from boost to straight talk? Or do I have to port my # when activating for the first time?

Advertisement
  2. oldnoob2

oldnoob2 Well-Known Member

You'll have to buy a new sim card and port when you activate. ST doesn't like to reassign them.
  3. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

You can do this but both accounts have to remain active until the port goes through.
  4. Dmowry

Dmowry Active Member

I'm not sure I'm fully understanding. So I activate with straight talk and they give me a phone #, then after 20-30 days I call them up and ask to port my current # number over????
  5. trim81

trim81 Active Member

Uyou need two sim cards.

Activate one first with a dummy test number

The second sim use and activate whne you're ready to port
    Dmowry likes this.
  6. timelord65

timelord65 Well-Known Member

You can port your regular number over to straight talk anytime, its the law. Just don't cancel your regular phone service until the port is complete.
    Dmowry likes this.
  7. Dmowry

Dmowry Active Member

Thank you for the response. I had hoped this was the way it worked. Have you done this before?
  8. lennydude

lennydude Well-Known Member

I did exactly what you are asking with my SIII.

I had a AT&T sim card with my regular number and a ST sim card with a ST number and tried out the phone. Prior to the ST and AT&T sim card expiring, i bought a new sim card, called up their customer service and had my regular phone number ported from AT&T to my new sim card. Like another poster said, they will only do this with a new sim card, not the one you have been using.
    IF you plan to use lots of data..................you may be in trouble? I and 99% of most phone users do not use even 2GB of data a month. I just can not watch movies on a small phone and would never tether.........
    I have had ST service for about 6 months now and like it VERY much. I signed up for their auto refills and have never had any issues whatsoever. Also, i made sure AT&T was strong in my area. Was with VZW for years. VZW has a good "phone" network but the data is sooooooooo slow!
    If you have any other questions..............please ask...................hope i have answered what you need to know.
    Lenny
    Dmowry likes this.
  9. Dmowry

Dmowry Active Member

Thank you for your response. This helped very much. I will give ST a try and if all is going well I will order another sim. I also do not use much data as I am cautious to connect to wifi whenever possible.
  10. DarkJedi

DarkJedi Well-Known Member

As another suggestion... port your number to Google Voice. Then add your cell to your Google Voice account. This way you can move to any carrier/phone at any time with no porting problems... as you never port your number again!
  11. Dmowry

Dmowry Active Member

How do I go about porting my number to Google voice?
  12. DarkJedi

DarkJedi Well-Known Member

Sign up for Google Voice. At one point, it'll ask if you want to port an existing cell phone number.