Porting WiFi info?Support

1. RBEmerson

RBEmerson Well-Known Member

Sigh... the time has come to move on to a Razr Maxx. I'd like to port over all the WiFi sites and passwords I've accumulated with the DINC2. Is this possible? If so, how is it done?

Advertisement
    :
  2. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Well-Known Member

That's a question I've never seen before.
  3. RBEmerson

Yep, well, ya can't never say that again! :D

But it seems to me that list of WiFi resources is in a file somewhere. I suspect that finding the information may require rooting, to get the file, and the passwords are (I hope!) encrypted. OTOH, this should be an Android (that is, OS level) file and not an HTC file. Or...???
  4. STeVe7320

STeVe7320 Well-Known Member

Is it on the phone? I just got my replacement and once I was set up and everything syncd up I had all of my networks.
    bberryhill0 likes this.
  5. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

If you have your phone backed up with Google: two boxes that can be checked during setup, not sure where to find it after. Maybe Verizon backup would do it?
  6. RBEmerson

Sigh... I totally screwed the pooch on the backup. The backup tool never got run (long boring story - bottom line: my bad). I got 95% of everything running as I want but... I still don't have the WiFi stuff (I'll live, I guess) and I don't have the browser bookmarks. I guess I'll have to root the DINC2 to get the WiFi stuff. What about the browser bookmarks?
  7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Well-Known Member

That's always worked for me in the past, but it didn't when I recently upgraded my phone to the Inc4G and my wife's to my Inc2.
  8. RBEmerson

9. RBEmerson

I have the boxes checked on both phones and... no joy with the Maxx. It only knows about the access point in my office (no sign of the rest of the list on the DINC2). What does it take to force the transfer to happen?

I looked into WiFi Key Recovery but that raises a number of questions about rooting. I'll leave them for another thread.
  10. bberryhill0

Glad to be of service! That's one of those apps that I use every time I flash a new ROM. Bloat bookmarks gone, my bookmarks restored. It's so satisfying.
  11. RBEmerson

Bump.

The more I stare at this issue (moving WiFi info), the uglier it gets. To use WiFi Key Recovery I have to root the source phone (DINC2) and, as far as I can figure out, root the destination phone (Razr Maxx). At least for the DINC2, it seems I have to downgrade it. I haven't even looked into rooting the Razr (if I can't supply the data, why bother).

Am I missing something about the base project (moving WiFi info from phone to phone)?
  12. bberryhill0

13. RBEmerson

In a word... ARGH!:banghead:
  14. RBEmerson

Enough.

Re-reading the list of AP's collected with 18 months of road warrioring with the DINC2, it's going to be easier to ask the various airports, hotels, etc. for the passwords I need than to mess with rooting to get just one file.
  15. bberryhill0

Out of curiosity I looked at the file. It doesn't have anything before my last flash so the downgrade would wipe that file anyways. I wonder if tacoroot http://rootzwiki.com/index.php?/topic/13713-TacoRoot---HTC-Universal-Root-Exploit-12-30-2011 could give you temporary root for long enough to grab the file. /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf

ctrl_interface=wlan0
    update_config=1
    device_name=brcm-p2p-ns2
    device_type=10-0050F204-4
    config_methods="push_button keypad"

network={
    ssid="Harbick Inc's Network-guest"
    key_mgmt=NONE
    priority=1
    disabled=1
    }
    RBEmerson likes this.
  16. RBEmerson

Thanks for digging into this question further. Other than my personal AP's, which are not a problem to connect to, [the] rest of the AP's and their keys can be re-collected as needed. I couldn't identify any of the AP's as "hard to get and screwed without them" so I'll let the matter slide.

Much of this mess is of my own making, for not doing my homework on backing things up before heading off to have VZW wake up the Razr. Some lessons are learned by reading, some are learned the hard way. :)
  17. RBEmerson

Out of curiousity, I applied ES File Explorer to this issue and... can't read the darn files in /data althought I can read /etc/wifi/ which only contains wpa_supplicant.conf (and no help with wifi AP's and keys). In hopes I could locate wifi anything, I tried a search with "wifi*" - I guess ES File Explorer doesn't do wildcards.

So it seems I'd have to be superuser to read /data/[anything]. So much for that idea. :banghead:
  18. bberryhill0

My phone was rooted 2 hours after I turned it on so I don't know much about stock. Odd that you can read files in /system but not in /data. Is it the same if you browse files from your computer?
  19. RBEmerson

IIRC, file read access is worse from the PC than with ES File Explorer. Anyway, it's no great surprise. *nix permissions can allow read-only directories for non-root users, and deny any access (root-only) to other directories. If anything, I'm sometimes surprised by what can be read, on phones, by non-root users. Anyway, ES File Explorer shows some real craft in its functions - somebody put some real work into making the app as good as it is.
    bberryhill0 likes this.
  20. bberryhill0

/data is 771, /system is 775. That would explain it. EStrongs is pretty cool, eh?
  21. RBEmerson

Indeed, indeed! :thumb: for EStrong!
  22. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Just an fyi, Titanium Backup Pro just added WiFi AP and password support.
  23. bberryhill0

Looks like it's down at the bottom of 234 system data items.