• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Portrait + Landscape Wallpaper Test!

Aardvark1971

Mar 5, 2011
Still waiting on my G-Tablet... In the meantime something to keep me occupied, I wondered how we go for wallpaper and making it both suitable for landscape and portrait viewing?

I've uploaded a jpg, that I've played with to hopefully get it to look good both ways on the G-Tab. Please see attached. (P.S. Not my original artwork! I wish though!)

* Update* The attached wallpaper is 1024x1024, it should display in landscape, just the centre of the original picture, the middle section which would be 600 pixels high, should be the only thing that appears. In portrait, it should display a thinner but higher version, with a water / mirror effect at the top and bottom of the picture. Can someone please confirm this?

Could someone please try this out on your G-Tab and if possible take a photo of it if it works well, in both portrait and landscape? I have had to assume that wallpapers are fine in jpg format, if you need another format please let me know! (and can't easily convert it yourself).

Attachments

• portrait.landscape.1.jpg
    portrait.landscape.1.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 137
I finally have my G-tablet, clockwork modded and vegan 5.1 first thing, was so simple to do too, albeit thanks for the tips!

Thanks SolidOrange, that Multipicture Live Wallpaper app makes life easier!

Still I may be assistance to others, so you want wallpapers and you want them the right size and you have found one on the net that's awesome, but not widescreen or the right dimensions, etc.

Then try this out... PhotoResize400.exe which you can get from here...

Batch Picture Resize

It's totally free, although you are welcome to donate, it's good software, small self contained (no install) all you have to do is rename the file to what you want it to do...

In the G-Tablet's wallpaper example, download "PhotoResize400.exe" (this is for Xp and Vista, so for other OS's search the site) rename the file to... "PhotoResizeA1024x600IOQ85.exe" (no talking marks)

(For those interested in technical details this file name will make the program, resize a JPG to 1024x600, but it will measure from the centre of the picture and trim the edges off, it won't stop doing it's job for any key presses and it will overwrite the original file with the resized JPG, and it will cut the quaility and therefore file size, down to 85% of the original, if you want 100%, just change the last bit to Q100, in that file name, a whole host of command lines are available, please see website, but this works really well for me.)

Now you can either drag a single wallpaper or an entire folder of wallpapers over the EXE and it will convert them to wallpaper suitable for a G-Tablet! Enjoy! :)

...Bonus! Wallpaper Site... 4walled just type in the type of pictures you are looking for! Please be aware this site can be NSFW!

Cheers Aardvark1971!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones