• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible alternatives for my LG Connect.

chrod12

Oct 1, 2012
I've had the Connect for a year now to the day, and I've gotta say, I've really enjoyed it. Its obviously not the perfect phone, I don't think anyone can argue that. besides the bugs that are probably not even worth mentioning in this post.. I can't complain..much.
But I think my time with the Connect has ran its course. Mainly because I've come to realize that the Connect will never get updated to 4.+ and its something that I feel like I need in a phone. Also this phone has not been the same since the darn Aug.11 and its driving me a little crazy. I've had this phone rooted pretty much since I got it and its been fun checking out the forums and learning a thing or two about my phone from the pros here; but it almost feels that recently there hasn't been much action here and its likely due to the fact that most has already been done.
Anyways after all that comes my dilemma. I got Asurion on my phone thru Metroguard. Been paying for it since I got it. I knew when I got it that the deductible for trading it in was $100 but I thought that by now that deductible wouldve gone down since the phone has devaluated. I'm stuck because idk if I can get any money at all out of it. I hear they can give me $35 on some websites for it. But mainly I just thought about holding onto it till the phone discontinued and maybe getting something better thru the insurance for that costly deductible.
Is it probably better to get another phone for $150( i.e. Optimus F3 or L9) or a used S3 at a higher budget in a couple months? or is it worth waiting for the phone to get discontinued (how will I even know) and come a claim or try to get $30 out of it? do you guys think the deductible on it will ever go down? what would you guys do?

I've had the Connect for a year now to the day, and I've gotta say, I've really enjoyed it. Its obviously not the perfect phone, I don't think anyone can argue that. besides the bugs that are probably not even worth mentioning in this post.. I can't complain..much.
But I think my time with the Connect has ran its course. Mainly because I've come to realize that the Connect will never get updated to 4.+ and its something that I feel like I need in a phone. Also this phone has not been the same since the darn Aug.11 and its driving me a little crazy. I've had this phone rooted pretty much since I got it and its been fun checking out the forums and learning a thing or two about my phone from the pros here; but it almost feels that recently there hasn't been much action here and its likely due to the fact that most has already been done.
Anyways after all that comes my dilemma. I got Asurion on my phone thru Metroguard. Been paying for it since I got it. I knew when I got it that the deductible for trading it in was $100 but I thought that by now that deductible wouldve gone down since the phone has devaluated. I'm stuck because idk if I can get any money at all out of it. I hear they can give me $35 on some websites for it. But mainly I just thought about holding onto it till the phone discontinued and maybe getting something better thru the insurance for that costly deductible.
Is it probably better to get another phone for $150( i.e. Optimus F3 or L9) or a used S3 at a higher budget in a couple months? or is it worth waiting for the phone to get discontinued (how will I even know) and come a claim or try to get $30 out of it? do you guys think the deductible on it will ever go down? what would you guys do?

Unfortunately, I was going through your dilemna with myself, deciding if I should wait or not. I had the insurance for 2 years until last month when I decided why keep it. The insurance company will never tell you that they will send you a different phone. The Connect is already discontinued. So unless you pay the deductible and they send you another Connect or a similar phone, you would never know, until your stuck with 2 Connects. I figured the deductible is 100, in 2 months those 5 for insurance turns into 10. Plus I downgraded my plan to the $40 one cause why pay 50 if even when I'm listening to pandora driving down the street, I'm not even on 4g cause I don't have a new GSM phone. So thats another 30 dollars saved in 3 months, now I'm up to 40. If I use the 100 I would have used for a replacement, I could buy a new phone with 140. Yah see? So I would say don't wait it out man. Those extra 5 dollars a month are wasted, and I say don't spend on that shitty replacement hoping for a better phone, cause insurance companies are garbage. Let me know what you decide to do brother. We were in the same boat.

Upvote 0
Ive been thinking about the same thing too, I would've jumped already if I didnt have the i5 to playwith too lol! I will probably stop my metro account and just keep the i5 that my work provides and pays for, but dont get it twisted as soon as they let me upgrade Im dropping the iphone for my little green buddy :D SOooo if I wasnt doing all this I would do an insurance job and see what happens, when I had the Galaxy Indulge and it got discontinued I called about my signal being shot and they said I could have a refurbished one and I told them HELL NO I paid to much and pay $5 a month for a NEW phone so they gave me this phone (Connect) for the $99 deductible and this phone was like $379 at that time lol! so I say screw it!! If they did it before maybe they will do it again? and if they say otherwise argue with them about it and fight for your new replacement you just might get it ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestions fellas. I really appreciate them.

Justenjoy you bring up a good point. I'm paying for unlimited right now which is running me $65 w/ insurance. Switching up to the $40 plan and sticking with it for a few months will probably be better in the long run. I imagine that phones might go on sale pretty soon for the holidays as well and in the next 2-3 months with some money saved up I can probably get myself a decent option for around $200. Also the T-Mobile installment plan is getting tempting. More than likely I will probably go that route.

Shatterproof I would go and try to make Asurion get me another phone. I've been thinking about calling them and letting them know that its a little ridiculous for them to have a $100 deductible on a phone that's outdated with much better options for only a few dollars more. But even if best case scenario, they give me a better option; will the phone be worth it? S4 or similar will of course be worth it but anything less...and maybe even refurbished..i don't know.

I will probably hang on to this phone a little longer stick around these forums. Will keep you posted if anything changes. Hope to hear from you guys if you find another phone at a good bargain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones