• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

i have already done some or most of this, but this is good thread thanks :).

i can not seem to get rid of google talk running in the background unless i quit the process in running services. i have auto sign in unchecked and everything in the settings unchecked for that matter. i end the program by signing out, but the service remains running in the background. anyway to really stop this service with out task killers? even after reboot the talk is still running.

questions on the stock services running, should i be concerned with them running? how much battery life do they really drain?

things that are running on my phone.

calender - obexservice and connectivity. these seem to restart on their own if i stop the service. are there settings for the calender?

google - gtalk service - why, i don't use this at all

voicemail - cm_service - what is this for? do i need a service running for voicemail? i just have the basic voicemail setup, does this phone run a visual voicemail program that i missed.

HTC DM - HtcDmService - no idea what this is or what its for.

Sprint Zone - updateservice - what is this for, do i need it? can i get rid of it?

HTC IQ Agent - agent service - no clue what this is. can i get rid of it?

com.smithmicro.dm - DMserviceapp - again no clue what this is. do i need it, can i get rid of it?

Touch Input - touch input - ok i think i get this one, but does the phone really need to run a service to save my touch settings?

any help with these services would be greatly appreciated.

do i need to have the phone rooted to remove these programs, or services. this is my first android phone and i would rather not mess with it like that when its so new.

Upvote 0
turning off things like 4G, wifi, bluetooth etc, apps that don't need to be running, as well as disabling the auto sync (background data, auto sync) substantially increases battery life so much so that no one, i mean absolutely no one, should be experiencing battery life issues now. i started with a full charge at 7:30am and it's now about 2:51pm and i'm at 80%. this is what i expect from my device right here. amazing.

Upvote 0
i have already done some or most of this, but this is good thread thanks :).

i can not seem to get rid of google talk running in the background unless i quit the process in running services. i have auto sign in unchecked and everything in the settings unchecked for that matter. i end the program by signing out, but the service remains running in the background. anyway to really stop this service with out task killers? even after reboot the talk is still running.

questions on the stock services running, should i be concerned with them running? how much battery life do they really drain?

things that are running on my phone.

calender - obexservice and connectivity. these seem to restart on their own if i stop the service. are there settings for the calender?

google - gtalk service - why, i don't use this at all

voicemail - cm_service - what is this for? do i need a service running for voicemail? i just have the basic voicemail setup, does this phone run a visual voicemail program that i missed.

HTC DM - HtcDmService - no idea what this is or what its for.

Sprint Zone - updateservice - what is this for, do i need it? can i get rid of it?

HTC IQ Agent - agent service - no clue what this is. can i get rid of it?

com.smithmicro.dm - DMserviceapp - again no clue what this is. do i need it, can i get rid of it?

Touch Input - touch input - ok i think i get this one, but does the phone really need to run a service to save my touch settings?

any help with these services would be greatly appreciated.

do i need to have the phone rooted to remove these programs, or services. this is my first android phone and i would rather not mess with it like that when its so new.

the only thing you need to stop is gtalk and sprint zone. the rest are things that make the device function. HTC iq agent is part of HTC Sense i believe, as well as HTC DM (think that stands for device manager). voicemail should be rather obvious...and calendar won't hurt you, let it run.

if you do what i said above, disable 4G, wifi and all that crap, and cut syncing off, you'll notice a huge difference in battery performance. with these settings, i could go 37.5hrs theoretically before needing to charge. i only need it to last for 17hrs personally. if i go out after work, then 19-20hrs tops

and obviously no one is gonna want to keep auto sync off at all times. i just keep it off while i'm at work because i'm on a computer. when i leave, i'll turn syncing back on with the push of one button on the power widget. easy peasy.

Upvote 0
also, guys if you wanna ensure that things are stopping when you hit the sleep/wake button to turn the screen off, just check your awake time, leave it on that screen, turn the screen off, wait a little (like 30sec-min), then turn it back on. should say the same as before you shut it off. maybe off by a few seconds. if it's not, this means something is still running, which is keeping it awake.

i'm glad we finally got all the settings figured out for the battery. very satisfied now.

Upvote 0
turning off things like 4G, wifi, bluetooth etc, apps that don't need to be running, as well as disabling the auto sync (background data, auto sync) substantially increases battery life so much so that no one, i mean absolutely no one, should be experiencing battery life issues now. i started with a full charge at 7:30am and it's now about 2:51pm and i'm at 80%. this is what i expect from my device right here. amazing.
To what auto sync are you referring?

:thinking:

Upvote 0
Two batteries test so far, two more to go no issue so far. They actually exceeded the times listed..

There is diffinitely a problem with the programs running in the back round some phones are handling it differently than others..

Also have some feed back coming on the Task killers people are installing.. Interesting to say the least..

Should be done battery testing in about 1-2 hours and have some feed back on the back ground programs..

Upvote 0
the only thing you need to stop is gtalk and sprint zone. the rest are things that make the device function. HTC iq agent is part of HTC Sense i believe, as well as HTC DM (think that stands for device manager). voicemail should be rather obvious...and calendar won't hurt you, let it run.

if you do what i said above, disable 4G, wifi and all that crap, and cut syncing off, you'll notice a huge difference in battery performance. with these settings, i could go 37.5hrs theoretically before needing to charge. i only need it to last for 17hrs personally. if i go out after work, then 19-20hrs tops

and obviously no one is gonna want to keep auto sync off at all times. i just keep it off while i'm at work because i'm on a computer. when i leave, i'll turn syncing back on with the push of one button on the power widget. easy peasy.

thanks, yeah i'm actually not really having battery issues as i have done most of this right off the start. i just like know about everything :)

i disable all antenna's when not in use. i have even been disconnecting network connections all together. i mostly text message for communications with some calls and very little voicemail. my important email is work and i am not allowed to connect to it outside of work. and i am ok with that :). my personal email (i use sbcglobal mail) is set to only check a few times a day. but with autosynch off will it synch at all? or is auto synch only for the accounts under the general synch program? the only one i use is weather and i just manually update that by clicking on a home screen link.

so if i turn off all network connections will this save battery life? or will it still use battery if items are trying to sync? just wondering if its better to turn sync off, network connections off or both?

i have both talk and sprint zone set not to sync and signed out and all that but the processes are still running. should i be concerned at all. i have no contacts that use google talk. sprint zone is unchecked everything sync and set sync to once a month, no manual setting. both of these still run. do i just have to close these manually in running processes or not worry about it at all.

and a question on backgrounds. i understand live backgrounds are a waste. but should i stay away from brightly colored ones as well?

i currently use the default sprint scene with it modified of course. i like the carbon fiber look. i can not find the carbon fiber that is the same without using the sprint scene. it seems to have the live clouds in the background. though i can't seem to remember seeing them run since Saturday. is this background ok to use power wise?

thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
How do I disable Google Talk from starting on its own when the phone is powered on? I followed the steps to uncheck it from automatically signing in but Google Talk is still a running service when the phone is turned on. Even an app that kills whatever you want from starting up did not work.

Upvote 0
it seems to have the live clouds in the background. though i can't seem to remember seeing them run since Saturday. is this background ok to use power wise?

The clouds aren't part of a background, they're part of the clock/weather widget on your home screen. If it's cloudy outside, it will show you clouds. If it's raining outside, it will show rain on your screen.

Reactions: Drew5150
Upvote 0
Task Killers and CPU

2 devices tested with Task killers installed one had 2 non stock app the other one had 40 non stop apps..

The task killers kicked in trying to kill the apps and the CPU got up to 600 and stayed there for about 1 hour on the device running the 40 apps

On the device running the 2 apps it kicked in for about 30 seconds and never turned back on for the hour..

My theory is if the task killer is trying to control a limited number of apps or the apps work as they are suppose to it might be effective..

If the task killer is trying to control a large amount of apps it is running up CPU usage as bad or worse than the apps it is trying to control.

My opinion is they are probably worthless and not very effective if trying to control a device with a large amount of apps running or if an app is unruly..

Anyone with an opinion please feel to join in..

Upvote 0
To what auto sync are you referring?

:thinking:

menu > settings > accounts and sync > uncheck auto sync and background data. this will kill syncing of everything data related. this is the main cause of the battery drain.

Task Killers and CPU

2 devices tested with Task killers installed one had 2 non stock app the other one had 40 non stop apps..

The task killers kicked in trying to kill the apps and the CPU got up to 600 and stayed there for about 1 hour on the device running the 40 apps

On the device running the 2 apps it kicked in for about 30 seconds and never turned back on for the hour..

My theory is if the task killer is trying to control a limited number of apps or the apps work as they are suppose to it might be effective..

If the task killer is trying to control a large amount of apps it is running up CPU usage as bad or worse than the apps it is trying to control.

My opinion is they are probably worthless and not very effective if trying to control a device with a large amount of apps running or if an app is unruly..

Anyone with an opinion please feel to join in..

i agree. there's no need for task killers if you know what you're doing and looking for. i had one but removed it. also removed the battery widget that i had. i just have stock stuff running now which is why my battery has improved vastly.

Upvote 0
After following this thread, I have noticed a significant improvement (based on my normal usage)...I plan on continue testing it out for the remainder of the day and again tomorrow...starting with a full charge in the morning and not plugging it in until the battery gets very low. But again, things are looking soooo much better.

Oh and this is without auto-sync being disabled...I need this to stay on.

Upvote 0
thanks, yeah i'm actually not really having battery issues as i have done most of this right off the start. i just like know about everything :)

i disable all antenna's when not in use. i have even been disconnecting network connections all together. i mostly text message for communications with some calls and very little voicemail. my important email is work and i am not allowed to connect to it outside of work. and i am ok with that :). my personal email (i use sbcglobal mail) is set to only check a few times a day. but with autosynch off will it synch at all? or is auto synch only for the accounts under the general synch program? the only one i use is weather and i just manually update that by clicking on a home screen link.

so if i turn off all network connections will this save battery life? or will it still use battery if items are trying to sync? just wondering if its better to turn sync off, network connections off or both?

i have both talk and sprint zone set not to sync and signed out and all that but the processes are still running. should i be concerned at all. i have no contacts that use google talk. sprint zone is unchecked everything sync and set sync to once a month, no manual setting. both of these still run. do i just have to close these manually in running processes or not worry about it at all.

and a question on backgrounds. i understand live backgrounds are a waste. but should i stay away from brightly colored ones as well?

i currently use the default sprint scene with it modified of course. i like the carbon fiber look. i can not find the carbon fiber that is the same without using the sprint scene. it seems to have the live clouds in the background. though i can't seem to remember seeing them run since Saturday. is this background ok to use power wise?

disabling auto sync and background data will not still draw power in the sense that apps are trying to sync. disabling syncing all together tells the app not to try to push. in other words, disabling syncing doesn't use power. only saves it.

what "network connection" are you referring to?

stay away from an live wallpapers unless you have the battery power to spare. no matter what color they are, a live wallpaper eats at the power because it's constantly running.

as far as the live clouds and such, i'm not sure. i don't think that's a background but part of the weather widget. i don't use that one but a stock clock instead. i would assume that the weather widget does use some power though for animation. maybe not as much as a live wallpaper though.

After following this thread, I have noticed a significant improvement (based on my normal usage)...I plan on continue testing it out for the remainder of the day and again tomorrow...starting with a full charge in the morning and not plugging it in until the battery gets very low. But again, things are looking soooo much better.

Oh and this is without auto-sync being disabled...I need this to stay on.

yes, it's possible to still get good battery life without disabling auto-sync. i know lots of people need that to stay on. my settings are just if you want maximum power savings.

Reactions: sag7392
Upvote 0
menu > settings > accounts and sync > uncheck auto sync and background data. this will kill syncing of everything data related. this is the main cause of the battery drain.
Thanks. It's good to know there is a centralized location for all of this. I think I'll turn them off on an individual basis, though. Some of these things might be worth leaving on. I can at least see some value in leaving the weather widget to auto sync.

I'm not really sure about Google and Facebook. I imagine both of those are used to keep my calender updated.

Upvote 0
Thanks. It's good to know there is a centralized location for all of this. I think I'll turn them off on an individual basis, though. Some of these things might be worth leaving on. I can at least see some value in leaving the weather widget to auto sync.

I'm not really sure about Google and Facebook. I imagine both of those are used to keep my calender updated.

yes to the calendar if you have it linked up on the actual calendar app.

i've set auto-sync for apps to 4hrs for the ones that will go that far. with auto-sync on, email will still push regularly but all the other crap will push at longer intervals, and i can also manually load it.

Upvote 0
yes to the calendar if you have it linked up on the actual calendar app.

i've set auto-sync for apps to 4hrs for the ones that will go that far. with auto-sync on, email will still push regularly but all the other crap will push at longer intervals, and i can also manually load it.
So if auto-sync is off, it won't push my email? I ask because I didn't see any of my email clients on that screen.

Upvote 0
what "network connection" are you referring to?

sorry its Mobile Network or 3g connection.

i was looking to see if you could disable 3g and use edge or whatever, some friends told me they turn off 3g on their phone to conserve battery. the evo just seems turn off all mobile connections.

so i turn off wifi, bluetooth, gps, 4g and mobile connections when i know i don't need my phone to connect for anything. still gets calls and texts.

mobile networks - widgets - setting - mobile networks, adds a switch to your home screen. i go back and forth using with this one. not sure it matters or not if nothing is syncing anyway.

my uptime never seems to stop when putting the phone to sleep. only awake time seems to stop for me. i still seem to get decent battery life tho.

Upvote 0

Background color does not effect battery life. The backlight is either on or off and that is what uses battery. One static image vs another will always be the same as far as battery drain.

Upvote 0
also, guys if you wanna ensure that things are stopping when you hit the sleep/wake button to turn the screen off, just check your up time, leave it on that screen, turn the screen off, wait a little (like 30sec-min), then turn it back on. should say the same as before you shut it off. maybe off by a few seconds. if it's not, this means something is still running, which is keeping it awake.

i'm glad we finally got all the settings figured out for the battery. very satisfied now.

I think you mean awake time. Up time is the amount of time the phone has been powered on, whether it is asleep or not, it is always going up non stop until you actually power off the phone.

Upvote 0
So if auto-sync is off, it won't push my email? I ask because I didn't see any of my email clients on that screen.

correct

I think you mean awake time. Up time is the amount of time the phone has been powered on, whether it is asleep or not, it is always going up non stop until you actually power off the phone.

yup, that's what i meant. sorry about that. corrected.

Upvote 0
sorry its Mobile Network or 3g connection.

i was looking to see if you could disable 3g and use edge or whatever, some friends told me they turn off 3g on their phone to conserve battery. the evo just seems turn off all mobile connections.

so i turn off wifi, bluetooth, gps, 4g and mobile connections when i know i don't need my phone to connect for anything. still gets calls and texts.

mobile networks - widgets - setting - mobile networks, adds a switch to your home screen. i go back and forth using with this one. not sure it matters or not if nothing is syncing anyway.

my uptime never seems to stop when putting the phone to sleep. only awake time seems to stop for me. i still seem to get decent battery life tho.

yup sorry i meant awake time. and i'm sure that disabling the mobile network saves some more power. you won't get phone calls and messages with it switched off though. with all of that off...your phone would last for days easily lol

Upvote 0
and i'm sure that disabling the mobile network saves some more power. you won't get phone calls and messages with it switched off though. with all of that off...your phone would last for days easily lol

actually you will still get phone calls and text messages. turn it off and the 3g symbol disappears, but you will still see your cell reception bars. i can't verify voicemail at this time. i believe this just kills the data.

i think its because sprint uses separate networks for data and voice.

Upvote 0
actually you will still get phone calls and text messages. turn it off and the 3g symbol disappears, but you will still see your cell reception bars. i can't verify voicemail at this time. i believe this just kills the data.

i think its because sprint uses separate networks for data and voice.

actually, i believe turning off mobile network changes it to 2G. i think.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones