• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

I'm surprised you missed these (or I did when reviewing your post), as your advice seems comprehensive:

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks - ensure that "Enable always-on mobile data" is not enabled (not checked).

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Roaming -> Sprint only

Also, turn off LED notifications...

You may wish to mine other threads and just add whatever's needed via edit.

Upvote 0
I'm surprised you missed these (or I did when reviewing your post), as your advice seems comprehensive:

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks - ensure that "Enable always-on mobile data" is not enabled (not checked).

Settings -> Wireless & networks -> Mobile networks -> Roaming -> Sprint only

Also, turn off LED notifications...

You may wish to mine other threads and just add whatever's needed via edit.

I didn't post those items because I found that the phone will still drain at 1% an hour despite your mobile network setting. The tab says some networks will use more power. Depends on where you are in my opinion.

I don't like to utilize Sprint Only because it messes up your navigation if its set to Sprint Only. If you forget to change that setting while you are taking a trip you will think your nav is busted or something. When in fact its that setting, so I don't mess with it. No expert but I think if your phone has to look for a Verizon tower, the battery drainage is negligible if a tower is available.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Always on Mobile data means for the great many using wifi and not caring when they're in a fringe area, the phone will go nuts always thinking it needs a signal when it doesn't.

Your idea that that either way, it will only drain at your observed setting is not taking into account that your mileage may vary and you're handing out broadcast advice.

The LED notifications all being set on hampers with the phone otherwise sleeping - that too, should be considered for the above reason.

I did not know that about the nav side effect of that suggestion. Unlike you, perhaps others aren't popping around so much in train, car or air vehicle. You might post it with your predicated warning for operational use.

Overall, I'm suggesting that you consider the scope of the advice you're giving.

But, you do what you think is best.

Upvote 0
Always on Mobile data means for the great many using wifi and not caring when they're in a fringe area, the phone will go nuts always thinking it needs a signal when it doesn't.

Your idea that that either way, it will only drain at your observed setting is not taking into account that your mileage may vary and you're handing out broadcast advice.

The LED notifications all being set on hampers with the phone otherwise sleeping - that too, should be considered for the above reason.

I did not know that about the nav side effect of that suggestion. Unlike you, perhaps others aren't popping around so much in train, car or air vehicle. You might post it with your predicated warning for operational use.

Overall, I'm suggesting that you consider the scope of the advice you're giving.

But, you do what you think is best.

Sorry, but I have set up 4 EVOs in my office and I have received nothing but praise from everyone for my tweaks. The praise on this board got wiped out when the website had to do some maintenance oddly enough.

I don't work on towers but I did work at an intelligence agency. A CDMA phone constantly seeks out the best signal period. Hence CDMA phones have better call quality compared to GSM. Since a CDMA phone constantly seeks out the best signal, you are going to lose a little battery life because of the CDMA phone/network period. GSM is the exact opposite to where you get bad call quality with dropped calls but good battery life.

So in my opinion, it doesn't make a difference whether you uncheck enable always on mobile data because the phone is going to try and seek out the best signal irregardless. Its on a CDMA network and will go nuts period. Besides, if your 3G radio is turned off as I suggested for everyone to keep off unless utilizing. Its not going to make a difference whether or not you have enable always on mobile data selected or not. The 3G radio is OFF.

Upvote 0
The argument was understood the first time.

Always on mobile data has been shown to keep a number of phones from ever sleeping if I'm to take the word of a great many others making this claim.

No need to pity me - I've worked intel (sigint, humint, photoint, elint, comint), anything military you're flying your doing with a few of my tricks behind the 1553 bus interfaces, I'm responsible for the software flying on a number of deep space assets as well as their ground control stations and I've been cited for excellence in service of the national strategic interests.

I _might_ have as many as four EVOs working right for people, but there's no telling, so we'll just credit you as the ace here.

I've made my suggestion, you're not having it, I'm moving along.

Upvote 0

Always on mobile data has been shown to keep a number of phones from ever sleeping if I'm to take the word of a great many others making this claim.

No need to pity me - I've worked intel (sigint, humint, photoint, elint, comint), anything military you're flying your doing with a few of my tricks behind the 1553 bus interfaces, I'm responsible for the software flying on a number of deep space assets as well as their ground control stations and I've been cited for excellence in service of the national strategic interests.

I _might_ have as many as four EVOs working right for people, but there's no telling, so we'll just credit you as the ace here.

Not arguing with you, I know its apps that cause people phones to not go to sleep or task killers. 9 times out of 10 when someone on a forum has a problem with their phone. I tell them to uninstall apps or uninstall their task killer...LOL

Upvote 0
Just my 2 cents.... I tweaked my phone (EVO) and my wifes phone (HERO) using Slick's advice (Friday night).. Just to see for myself if it would work, I made sure both phones had a full charge, I then took them off of their chargers at around 8:30 pm and used them as normal or let them sit.

(Side note: Under normal situations [prior to tweaking both phones] around 11 pm, both phones battery level would have been at approx. 85%, and if I would not charge them over night, by morning both phones would be damn near drained, with no usage at all).

So, again after removing each phone from thier chargers at 8:30 pm, I ran both phones through my normal routine, by 11 pm, the battery life on both phones was at approx. 97%. After leaving both phones off the charger over night, I was pleased to see at approx. 7:45 am, both phones battery level was between 90 to 87%. So it works.

Even right now, while at work during break, My battery level is at 96% after removing it from the charger at 5:30 this morning. Usually by this time I would have to put my EVO on the charger because battery life by now, would be between 70 to 60%. So without a dought Slick's methods do work.

Upvote 0

EarlyMon...BE CAREFUL with the Slickster in this forum. Beside throwing in the recent irrelevant mention that he worked for an "intelligence agency" he ALSO works for a "fighter squadron"

Oooooohhhhh wwwoOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Don't know about you EarlyMon but I did a poll in this forum and EVERYONE is BEYOND impressed. You should NEVER EVER CHALLENGE him...ever.

Did I mention the **SQUADRON**!!???

:D

Upvote 0
Stupid question but turning off mobile data that's 3G correct? I know I do't get a signal in the basement where I work at and my phone drains more. But I usually have my charger with me and leave it on the charger. I never leave BT 4G which we don't have or GPS on. But I sometimes put the phone in airplane mode that's the same as turning everything off right?

Also the other night when I tweaked my settings even more after your directions. My phoen sat idle on my desk for 3 hours at a 100% woke up to like 93 or something like that and left it unplugged all night and took it right off the charger when green. Last night it charged over night and stayed plugged in for several hours after it was green and I unplugged it when I woke up and within 2 minutes it was on 93% which was weird. So I guess it's true about leaving it plugged in. I always would unplug it after over night and then top it back off and unplug it when it was green again.

If you guys work in a building where your cell phone signal sucks. I would leave all of my radios off like: 3G, 4G, Bluetooth, Hotspot.

Upvote 0
Rose,

On your phone 3G is Mobile Network. Menu - Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Network (means 3G).

Yes, Airplane mode is the same as turning everything off. Airplane mode will turn off all of your cell phone radios. I would suggest to you to go a day using Airplane Mode in the basement and then go a day not using Airplane Mode (but still keeping your radios turned off) to see how your battery drains. Because if you can get the phone to ring in the basement I wouldn't want you to miss a call. Like I said, I turn off all of my radios not using airplane mode but utilizing the individual radio widgets that come on the phone so I can still receive calls. Airplane mode will not let you receive any calls or texts messages.

You can find the widgets for your radios under by hitting the lower right + button, Widget - Settings. I would add those widgets to one screen so you know whether you have radios turned off or on.

By turning off all of my radios, my building doesn't suck my battery dry and I still can send/receive calls or text messages because I'm not using Airplane mode.

Upvote 0
My phone can't ring where I'm at. It may ring in a certain spot if on but I keep it on vibrate off silent. I'm at work and not even suppose to have phone on. I do text and email some though. And on break I put on wifi and do internet. I thought Mobile Network meant 3G wasn't sure. I usually turn off bt and gps and sometimes use wifi at work cause I don't get good signal. I have to stand in a certain spot just for my text to send. My people with AT&T get signal almost everywhere down there but I don't. But it's ok I always have my charger with me plus 3 extra batteries. LOL! But thanks, I was just curious about it and what all it turned off.

Rose,

On your phone 3G is Mobile Network. Menu - Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Network (means 3G).

Yes, Airplane mode is the same as turning everything off. Airplane mode will turn off all of your cell phone radios. I would suggest to you to go a day using Airplane Mode in the basement and then go a day not using Airplane Mode (but still keeping your radios turned off) to see how your battery drains. Because if you can get the phone to ring in the basement I wouldn't want you to miss a call. Like I said, I turn off all of my radios not using airplane mode but utilizing the individual radio widgets that come on the phone so I can still receive calls. Airplane mode will not let you receive any calls or texts messages.

You can find the widgets for your radios under by hitting the lower right + button, Widget - Settings. I would add those widgets to one screen so you know whether you have radios turned off or on.

By turning off all of my radios, my building doesn't suck my battery dry and I still can send/receive calls or text messages because I'm not using Airplane mode.

Upvote 0
But if the radio is off, you can't get calls. For my purposes (and I assume for most people who using their EVO as a phone), this is unacceptable.

Even is low signal area where the radio is chomping away at my battery, I still get calls ringing through or at least a voicemail notification.

With 3G off you can still make/receive calls and text messages. You will still get a voicemail notification, except it will not download to your phone. You must connect to an internet source for the message to download.

Upvote 0
Very Important Tweaks (NOT ROOTED AND NOT USING ANY TASK KILLERS):

(checklist omitted)

Great list. I already had a lot of it done myself but there were couple things I missed. My battery life was previously just ok, but after implementing the tweaks I missed, it's now pretty good. Much appreciated.

I definitely recommend any average evo user to run down the list and apply those tweaks.

Upvote 0
For those of you laughing at those who have calibrated a new battery (yet have SEEN RESULTS) this board isn't the only one making the suggestion:

How to calibrate HTC EVO battery and possibly double your battery life

So we be dumb...but we not be alone! The post above even says that the technique "...might sound ridiculous" but people HAVE seen results.

:D:D

Upvote 0
For those of you laughing at those who have calibrated a new battery (yet have SEEN RESULTS) this board isn't the only one making the suggestion:

How to calibrate HTC EVO battery and possibly double your battery life

So we be dumb...but we not be alone! The post above even says that the technique "...might sound ridiculous" but people HAVE seen results.

:D:D

Initialization occurs when you first charge the battery. When was the last time I calibrated my car battery?...LOL Can I double the battery life of a car battery? Hell NO! Can you double the life of a cell phone battery? Hell No! Not unless the battery can grow more cells magically because last time I checked lithium ion batteries have cells just like a car battery does.

In a plane or vehicle if you need more juice to run components, you get a bigger battery! You don't start treating the battery like an old nickel battery by plugging/unplugging the battery constantly. If you could double the battery life by the technique you mentioned, then people who have the iphone would want replaceable batteries so they could "double their battery life."

This makes more sense for calibrating the battery in the EVO. The procedures from HTC help the phone read the battery accurately. It doesn't increase battery life. Its something you do every 6 months or so....
http://www.freshbattery.com/Page.bok?file=guide.htm

I'm sorry but the number of "thanks" on the left side of the screen tells you who knows what they are talking about.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry but the number of "thanks" on the left side of the screen tells you who knows what they are talking about.

I found you an avatar.

ceoo5u

Upvote 0
Can't believe I'm actually entertaining a response to Captian Air Squadron but here goes...

Initialization occurs when you first charge the battery. When was the last time I calibrated my car battery?...LOL Can I double the battery life of a car battery? Hell NO! Can you double the life of a cell phone battery? Hell No! Not unless the battery can grow more cells magically because last time I checked lithium ion batteries have cells just like a car battery does.

So so so sorry to the GOD OF ALL FIGHTER SQUADRONS, EVOs AND BATTERIES...so I used the wrong word...calibration...initialization...optimization...who the hell actually cares?? Actually all I did was quote the word used in the article link I provided. All I'm doing is SHARRRINNG...information that MIIIIIGHT work for some people because SOOMMMMMMME people have found success.

YES THERE SLICKY FLYBOY...SOME PEOPLE HAVE DONE THINGS DIFFERENTLY that you have suggested and have had success!!

BTW, lest you think just because I don't run the EVO department in MY fighter squadron group, I KNOW you can't double the life of a battery. Think about it **GENIUS** did ya REALLY REALLY REALLY have to point that out?? Did ya REALLY REALLY have to give an sarastic prick comment about "magically growing cells" to make a point?? Quite an exaggeration to "double the life" of the battery....hyperbole perhaps (look up that word in your flight manual squadron boy). OBVIOUSLY battery life isn't DOUBLED...did ya REALLY REALLY think that that was what **I** and the article MEANT!?!?! Slicky, PLEASE dont' take things so literal...people might consider you a dolt!!! LOLOLOL.

What was PROBABLY MEANT...and I will now APOLOGIZE for the article author's error not realizing you Slicky here would take things SO LITERAL (I'm STILL LOLOLOLOL!!)...is that some sorta technique has PERMITTED THE PHONE TO RECOGNIZE the true "charge level" of the battery and, as a result, provided a more accurate INDICATATION OF TRUE BATTERY LIFE.

Question: are you SURE that a battery cannot magically grow cells?? I think I"m gonna go find another link that says YA CAN!!!! LOLOLOL

I don't know about anyone else but I think there is MORE of a chance that our batteries will "magically double their cells" than you'll change your crap attitude in the forums.

THE POINT is that it appearssss it seeeeeeem it miiiiiight be the case (CONTRARY to your all-knowing, higher-than Almighty God wisdom on the subject of batteries and EVOs) that doing SOMETHING to the battery...hell maybe do a RAIN DANCE and VOODOO and SAY A PRAYER while you're charging and plugging and unplugging if one feels like dancing also...just miiiight give someone a bit more COMFORT AND CONFIDENCE in the ACCURACY OF THEIR BATTERY INDICATION!!

So I'm juuuuuust posting in case sommmmmeone wants to try sommmmething. We just all cannot be SOOOOO FORTUNATE to work in your office and have our phones "calibrated" (LOLOLOL!!!!) by you...YE OH EVO BATTERY FLIGHT SQUADRON KING OF ALL KINGS!!

This makes more sense for calibrating the battery in the EVO. The procedures from HTC help the phone read the battery accurately. It doesn't increase battery life. Its something you do every 6 months or so....
FreshBattery guide.htm
CAREFUL WITH YOUR WORDS!!! Calibrated? Or Initialized?? Or Optimized?? LOLOLOL!!

By the way, the link that I referred to in my previous post ALSO LINKS to HTC PROCEDURES and suggestions.

Again, I.....am.....only....passing....on....information....for....people....to....read...

By the way, I HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU, but the "thanks" you have gotten was only after ***I POSTED A COMMENT IN THIS FORUM AND SUGGESTED*** that instead of the prick attitude that perhaps you post the ACTUALLY SUGGESTIONS for specific apps and processes that should be turned of or adjusted.

Also, HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU but what you listed ain't no rocket science...ain't no fighter squadron science in your office either....it was ALREADY KNOWN INFORMATION. The "thanks" you so proudly speak of is NOT for your battery suggestions. Did ya REALLY THINK people were thanking you for something YOU came up with??? LOLOLOLOL!!! You didn't COME UP WITH anything...you didn't DISCOVER anything...all ya did was make a list of information PREVIOUSLY KNOWN around the forums and the internet.

So THANKS for the "cut and paste" compilation of previously known, listed and disseminated information. You figured out NOTHING that wasn't already known. All you did was stop being a prick and finally post the information in a list. CONGRATS...you are a very very good typer and list-maker though..

And LASTLY, I HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU, if there was a "JERK" button instead of a "THANKS" button the number would BLOW AWAY your "thanks" numbers.

Let me remind you once more: YOU PROVIDED NO INFORMATION OTHER THAN COMPILING A LIST OF PREVIOUSLY KNOWN SETTINGS. Am I "thankful" the list is in one specific place?? SURE. Do I "thank" you for DISCOVERING the information and being the very very first person in the whole big wide wide world to figure this out?? HELL NO. And I CERTAINLY don't "thank" you for your crap attitude.

You're not that great. You're not that impressive (other than to yourself).

Oh, and "thanks" for reading....LOLOLOL!!

Reactions: toomuchgame441
Upvote 0
Well I just got my Evo 4g Yesterday and I'm following the quick Tips that Slick1020 posted. Before that I had to many things running in the back ground,notifications,updates and a whole lot of junk using up my battery it was not funny. So first I did the chaging thing until it was green when the phone was off and On, until it became pretty instint. Now im using my Phone "Moderately" since 10:37am Results so far are looking GREAT. ill repost my ending battery and time with its about ran down..

Upvote 0
ive tried this and with regular usage mine went for a day and a half so i say win for this post

Information in the post good? YES.

Information a set of BRAND SPANKIN' NEW information discovered and invented by a genius? HELL NO.

Information OLD NEWS and already out around various forums, blogs and the internet? YES.

Information compiled nicely in a single post? YES

Informant who typed up the old information for everyone to use thinks HIS OWN value to be much, much, much higher than everyone else and seeks to take WAY TOO MUCH credit for his "help" slathered in obnoxious, degrading ridicule? HELL YES.

Information is good...the "source" is HORRIBLE...

:(

Reactions: IgnatiusTheKing
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones