• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible Battery Fix from HTC

The first charge is with the phone ON.
Charge till green.
Then shut the phone off, DO NOT TURN BACK ON, and charge till green.
Then turn the phone on and charge till green.
Then try off again.

You aren't rebooting it between charges, but rather charging it when it's either off or on.

Must be a problem with the way the battery is being read by the phone. It's reading it as full when it really isn't, so then it stops the charge and the battery never becomes fully charged.

Here's my question, to the people who are having poor battery life, did you charge your phone straight out of the box? or did you wear it down then a full charge?

Upvote 0
so far today this is what i've gotten. battery at 67%

shot1.png

shot2.png

Upvote 0
so far today this is what i've gotten. battery at 67%

shot1.png

shot2.png

wow ok, what are you running if anything...4G/GPS/Wifi? how much have you used the phone? videos? web? calls? sms? mms?

what battery problems? im getting 18 hours on a charge

has yours been that good from the beginning? I'd be happy if i got 10 hours on minimal usage

Upvote 0
That's weird, I see all these posts about the battery. I haven't had any problems.

I'm at 60% left. I've been using the phone for the past 10 hrs..:)

This means you have a battery issue. I've been using my phone for the past 21 hours and have 49% left!

YOU DON'T NEED A HARD RESET EVEN. I CAN CONFIRM, ALL I DID WAS THIS:

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR ITSELF:
discharge.png

***NOW, WE JUST NEED TO GET THIS TO STICK AFTER A PHONE REBOOT!***

Upvote 0
wow ok, what are you running if anything...4G/GPS/Wifi? how much have you used the phone? videos? web? calls? sms? mms?

has yours been that good from the beginning? I'd be happy if i got 10 hours on minimal usage
no. it took about 3 days for me to be getting these results. in the first 2 days when i got the phone, it lasted maybe 5 hours. then i installed ATK and completely went to work on my settings and now i can go all day. i just figured out how to get the SystemPanel graph to work so tomorrow i will do the full graph and post that.

Upvote 0
Okay sorry for the back to back posts. But..

Since my Sprint Heros' battery is fully charged, I swapped it out and put it into the EVO, ran the steps and it does the same thing. So if the led light is supposed to turn green on shutdown charge, and it still has to wait a while to turn green, I assume its not the battery.
Although it turn green in way less time than the EVO OEM battery.

What do you think?

Edit:
I put the EVO's battery into the Hero and ran the steps and it turned from amber to green in 2 seconds. So I would assume its not the battery at all but the device. Or am I looking interpreting the findings wrong.

TS

Upvote 0
no. it took about 3 days for me to be getting these results. in the first 2 days when i got the phone, it lasted maybe 5 hours. then i installed ATK and completely went to work on my settings and now i can go all day. i just figured out how to get the SystemPanel graph to work so tomorrow i will do the full graph and post that.

oh ok so you are using a task killer? I'm on day 3 right now and still crap :(

Upvote 0
oh ok so you are using a task killer? I'm on day 3 right now and still crap :(
when i got the phone at sprint, the first thing they did was install ATK. i then switched to auto task killer. then decided maybe i'd be better off without one. my battery life was better. then about 2 days ago i decided to test ATK again and i havent looked back.

Upvote 0

i never said i was a power user that just constantly streams something on the phone. my awake time was at ~5hrs, so yeah, i'd say i use the phone...
no videos, some web, no calls, lots of txts (i'm a heavy txter), uploaded those screen shots. do you not see the bullseye on the screen shot? that would be GPS on. used it earlier for foursquare. i know my way around my city so no nav (in case you were wondering since you seem to want to know every detail of my usage).

my usage isn't gonna be the same as any one persons. and on top of that, changes slightly from day to day, naturally.

i have the luxury of working on a computer all day and then coming home to a 52" HDTV to which my laptop is currently plugged into and i'm typing on right now...so no, i'm not gonna use the heck out of my phone by browsing on the interwebz or something. this isn't a netbook, it's a phone.

all that is beside the point, though. double my usage and you've still got a good 33% left at almost 14hrs off of the charger. that would be me being on the phone with an awake time at 10hrs. now...seriously, who's gonna spend 10hrs of their 17hrs that they're awake on a cellphone???

background data and auto-syncing on, syncing fb and twitter, as well as gmail. what more do you need running?

oh, and i'd def say i'm getting better than 10hrs on "minimal usage" :p

Upvote 0

no need for a task killer, friend. there's one already built into the phone.
menu > settings > applications > running services.

i have a shortcut to that on my phone. exact same thing as atk imo.

Upvote 0
I'm not, personally, having any battery issues at all. In fact I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good the battery life is.

However, if that "fix" is for every time you charge, and not just a one-time calibration thing, then anyone that puts up with that is insane and really needs to be taking HTC/Sprint to task.

My issues are 4G/WiFi/Hotspot related and I'm not putting up with those either. Either they announce awareness of an issue, give me a phone that works correctly for these features tomorrow, or they get this one back.

Upvote 0
I'm not, personally, having any battery issues at all. In fact I'm very pleasantly surprised at how good the battery life is.

However, if that "fix" is for every time you charge, and not just a one-time calibration thing, then anyone that puts up with that is insane and really needs to be taking HTC/Sprint to task.

My issues are 4G/WiFi/Hotspot related and I'm not putting up with those either. Either they announce awareness of an issue, give me a phone that works correctly for these features tomorrow, or they get this one back.

what's wrong with your wifi? not working at all, low speeds, or just low signal strength?

Upvote 0
When you charge while it is on and turn it off and charge it again while it is off there is about a 20 minute delay before the light turns green again.

This might might not be the case on all the phones.. Might be just the ones with batteries that are given problems.

It's like snapping your fingers to keep the elephants away. I snapped my fingers and there were no elephants! Works all the time!

My turns back to green within a minute of replugging it back in on 2 different batteries. I find it hard to believe (Not that they told you but that it makes a difference).

Upvote 0
This means you have a battery issue. I've been using my phone for the past 21 hours and have 49% left!

YOU DON'T NEED A HARD RESET EVEN. I CAN CONFIRM, ALL I DID WAS THIS:

press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

Now your done, your TWS should drop dramatically, and you should experience much better battery life!

THE RESULTS SPEAK FOR ITSELF:

***NOW, WE JUST NEED TO GET THIS TO STICK AFTER A PHONE REBOOT!***

This alleged "trick" would ONLY help people who aren't in a good Sprint coverage area. My TWS is and has always been between zero and 2% because my "time without (Sprint) signal" is just about never. If (BIG IF) it really makes a difference it won't help everyone. Just those in lousy coverage areas.

Upvote 0
Or download the free NETWORK app from the Market. It takes you right to that screen.

no, it does not. unless you have some different network app from the one made by Philipp Mangelow. it takes you to network setting, or better known as "Phone info", hence the name of the app, network. that's not the battery info above. i'll be sure to add that app to one of my steps to saving battery (the step takes you to that screen).

Upvote 0
This alleged "trick" would ONLY help people who aren't in a good Sprint coverage area. My TWS is and has always been between zero and 2% because my "time without (Sprint) signal" is just about never. If (BIG IF) it really makes a difference it won't help everyone. Just those in lousy coverage areas.

this is also one of my steps to saving battery power. at some point, you are going to be in a bad area. Sprint doesn't blanket every last sq ft of land with coverage. changing it will help you in those instances when you don't get good reception. and, it doesn't hurt anything. shouldn't be on GSM any way. this is a CDMA phone.

edit: oh, and a lot of people with battery problems might be experiencing a weak signal and need to do this. i was one of 'em.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones