• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible design flaw - HTC desire

Hi, I'm asking if anyone else has had the same problem as me. After about a week of having my phone I found the charging socket would only work intermittently. I had to push the cable towards the front to get it to work.

I duly called orange customer services and they arranged a courier to switch it for a brand new one, top job there, I'm not sure how long that warrenty lasts though.

Now the new one, arrived precisely 5 hours and 31 minute ago, I placed it on charge very carefully and waited for the light to go green. I unplgged it and messed around with setting apps and home screen and the like to get it how I want it and plugged it into my laptop to transfer some ringtones accross...

Exactly the same problem!!!

I'm hoping this is a faulty batch or something but the first was brown and the second was black

Hence the question, anyone else had any problems??
:thinking:

Hi, nice quick response I like it :). I thought of that and presumably so did orange because I had to return everything that came with the phone including the charger and cable. Everything was replaced with brand new items. I have ordered a new cable in hope more than expectation hoping that the htc cables are weak and not the phone itself.

Upvote 0
HI unplgged it and messed around with setting apps and home screen and the like to get it how I want it and plugged it into my laptop to transfer some ringtones accross...

Exactly the same problem!!!

You haven't explained it very well.
"Exactly the same problem"...on what?...plugged in to the mains charger or USB port on the PC?
I find it very difficult to believe you have the same fault on a replacement Desire and suggest something else is causing your perceived problem and is common to both phones.
There is no design flaw.

Upvote 0
I've discovered something very interesting. Looking very closely at the cabe I noticed that one of the outer pins was pushed down slightly. I got a needle and flicked it up and voila it works like new for a few connections. Then I simply bit the cable pushing the top and slightly together and the effect seems perminant. Basically I can say it's the cables I've been supplied with and not the phone. I hope this is useful if anyone comes across the same problem :-D

Upvote 0
I've discovered something very interesting. Looking very closely at the cabe I noticed that one of the outer pins was pushed down slightly. I got a needle and flicked it up and voila it works like new for a few connections. Then I simply bit the cable pushing the top and slightly together and the effect seems perminant. Basically I can say it's the cables I've been supplied with and not the phone. I hope this is useful if anyone comes across the same problem :-D
Interesting indeed. I think something similar may be causing the problems I reported in this thread except its the middle pin (data +) and it looks defective. Still, it'll be OK for charging :p

Upvote 0

Glad it worked out mate!

Upvote 0
Hi.

I am having EXACTLY the same problem.

My phone didn't turn on one day, after charging over night, so I assumed the phone was broken. The cable would not charge the phone via USB or Mains Power.

I took the phone back to the shop and they replaced it. The cable is still the original one.

After reading this I am now convinced that the cable is to blame. I have never had any problems with USB cables before like this, but this is the first time I have used this particular style of USB cable.

I will get a new cable and report back with my findings.

Glad I found this forum!

Upvote 0
Hi All

My first post so be gentle with me please

My original charger is fine but I have just purchased a cheap cable from ebay and that does not seem to charge the phone at all, I had it plugged into several different USB ports on my PC at work, the battery icon was moving and under battery in the settings menu it indicated that it was charging by USB. ( I havent tried to transfer data yet)

Is it possible for this to happen if the cable is faulty, other cables appear to work fine.

I'm a bit confused.
Thanks for any help

Upvote 0
Hi All

My first post so be gentle with me please

My original charger is fine but I have just purchased a cheap cable from ebay and that does not seem to charge the phone at all, I had it plugged into several different USB ports on my PC at work, the battery icon was moving and under battery in the settings menu it indicated that it was charging by USB. ( I havent tried to transfer data yet)

Is it possible for this to happen if the cable is faulty, other cables appear to work fine.

I'm a bit confused.
Thanks for any help
Some cables charge less than original ones and charging via usb is slow!!

Reactions: processchip
Upvote 0
OK, an update for you all.

I bought a new Micro USB cable (which was not very easy to find!).

Plugged it in, and now the phone is charging fine from AC.

The problem was definitely the cable, which is annoying and kind of unacceptable if this problem is happening to many people. For a lot of people, a phone is a lifeline, and for the only way to charge the thing to be of substandard quality is very bad indeed.

So, anyone with an HTC Desire; GET A COUPLE OF SPARE USB CABLES!!

Upvote 0
It's not just you! My phone has had the same problem since shortly after I bought it I've learned to live with it. Always resting the cable on something so it's angles towards the screen.

I too found that an aftermarket cable helps, although I do believe the problem is phone related.

Although my aftermarket cable fits in the phone much tighter than the original, there are times the charging light turns off and I need to move the cable toward the screen anyway.

I've been considering getting it fixed by HTC though. Has anyway else done this? My reservation is I'd need to post my phone to another city. In Australia there appears to be only one authorized repairer!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones