Possible Memory Leak in Andoid Clock AppGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Slewman

Slewman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So... Im not 100% sure this is real or not... but here is my story

I noticed months ago that sometimes, my alarm clock just doesnt go off (in fact, it did it this morning... almost slept through work) and after some searching in the forums, came to the conclusion that it was my task killer that was causing this problem. anytime i "killed all apps" it would kill the clock and the alarm would not go off.

now, jump forward to the release of 2.1.3 leak. I install it, and as I have been doing since i realized this problem, dont include the clock app in the "kill all" of the task killer. However, i started noticing that at the end of the day, my available memory with all apps killed, not including the clock app, was getting smaller and smaller. so last night i waited until the available free memory with only the clock app running was ~40mb (which is RIDICULOUSLY LOW for the eris, i dont know why its so low, i dont have THAT many apps) i opened the task killer and with only the tk and the clock app running, i killed the clock app... all of a sudden... 20 mb are added to my free memory... 20 MB!!!! can the clock app really be using that much memory!?!?! i tested this morning... after killing the clock, opening it, setting an alarm, going back to home, going to TK, killing clock, only freed up about 4-5mb...

so... im concluding that it was the fact that i left my clock open all day that caused that massive 20mb freeing when the clock app was killed... which is 5x larger than the memory freed by the clock when its killed minutes after opening..

anyone else seeing anything like this? it was noticeably slowing down my phone, and it really seems to me at least that the clock app isnt managing memory too well.

if i am the only one let me know, maybe its something on my device only that i need to fix.

Advertisement
  2. mseliga

mseliga Member

Can't say if its what you claim, but I also don't have the clock/weather app showing up in the kill list and my available memory does seem to go down from 80-90 at boot to around 50 later on when I have killed all apps.

3. Slewman

Slewman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

yea... thats what got me to searching for the cause of the memory issue... it might not be the case for all, but i do know that normally, clock takes up ~4-5mb, and last night, killing the clock alone freed up 20mb...

i dont doubt there are more android processes that might have a slight memory leak

4. dirtmouth

dirtmouth Well-Known Member

my alarm wont go off once a week ..... its a problem, i missed a fishing trip!

5. jps

jps Well-Known Member

my clock only said memory: 2.4mb, it was cached. when i killed the clock, i went from 45mb free to 49mb free.

when i first got the eris, i had a problem with the alarm not going off, havent had the problem in some months now tho.

6. magicelf

magicelf Well-Known Member

Mine only went off once today. Just flashed Evil Eris ROM yesterday and I hit the snooze and luckily I didn't fall totally asleep cause it never went off again. Could the AutoKiller app cause this?

7. mseliga

mseliga Member

Well the clock app doesn't appear in Advanced Task Killer, so I can't kill it from there. Which task managers are you using that see the clock app in 2.1?

8. jps

jps Well-Known Member

SystemPanel App / Task Manager - Android app on AppBrain

im on 1.5 but it says its for all android versions. get rid of any other task killer, because this thing is the best!