Possible new issue with Replacement ErisGeneral

Last Updated:

1. kpowers99

kpowers99 Member This Topic's Starter

Ok guys and gals, I am on my 4th Eris. I have had this one for about 3-4 weeks now and up to this point it has been pretty good. However within the past week it has stopped lighting up if I pull the phone away from my head while in a call. I would assume this has to do with the Proximity sensor on the phone.

I did notice that if I pull it away and it does not light up I can cover the sensor with my finger then when I remove it the phone will light up just enough to barely see. If I repeat this again it will come back like normal. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Lag has also been an issue but not as big of a deal. I am headed to the store again tomorrow to see if there is any other option for me other than another freakin refurb. They promised me last time I was in that the refurb I was getting would have 2.1 on it but I had to update OTA. Then when I had problems immediately with it (scrolling to the left/silent issues) the rep said "Why don't you NOT do the upgrade?" I almost slapped him. Why else would I have gotten this phone if I was not going to use the technology?! LOL Sorry for the long story.

Advertisement
  2. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

When the proximity sensor on my phone starts doing what yours is doing it's because the screen in front of the sensor is not clean - and by clean I mean spotless. It seems like it doesn't take much of a smudge to make the sensor slow to react, or not react at all. If you haven't already, try giving that spot on the screen smudge free and see if that helps any.

3. kpowers99

I have checked that and to be honest I have really yet to see that area on my phone ever dirty. When this happens the phone thinks it is on like it should be because everything works like it should. you can end calls, open programs (if you know by memory where to go to do so using the track ball). Its just that the screen doesn't light up. Then I have had it lock in the dim lit screen and have to power the device down to get it to change.

4. kpowers99

Ok so the rep at the store said I had a virus on my phone which I got from, who would have guessed it, an anti-virus app! LOL are you serious?! Anyway we did a hard reset so we will see if it helps.

5. MrChips

MrChips Active Member

Sounds suspicious - no known viruses exist for android as of yet. Kind of wish there were as it would likely open up root access for the leakers.

6. kpowers99

Dunno. The rep said he had the Droid and was online looking thru forums and the anti-virus app I was using was the one listed on there as being malicious. He did the reset and so far its fine.

7. MrChips

MrChips Active Member

Sounds like a buggy app and not necessarily a virus then. Which one was it - for the record?

8. kpowers99

It was simply called anti-virus and had an icon of a yellow/white pill