Possible screen issueSupport

1. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

On the GNex, it appears as if there are these weird vertical lines that pass through when the screen dims. Is that a normal occurence w/ AMOLED screens or should the phone be replaced?

Advertisement
  2. DSG04lightning

DSG04lightning Well-Known Member

when it dims or when it goes dark? They usually go off like an old CRT monitor where all the light moves to the center before shutting off
  3. NYCHitman1

Yeah, when it dims or goes dark - the lines appear. It just has me curious/worried if something is wrong.
  4. trophynuts

trophynuts Well-Known Member

5. NYCHitman1

Nah, not even close. I know the CRT mod, but that's not what what I meant the GNex does. When the display dims - you see these faint lines that run vertically and horizontally. I wish I could take a picture of it, but I don't have the phone on me. The phone belongs to a friend of mine.
  6. Neera

Neera Well-Known Member

7. bobisculous

bobisculous Member

I have an issue with my screen. Just not sure if it's worth exchanging, or if it's all to do with the screen type. I just don't want to jump to any conclusions. Some have reported similar issues, but not a huge number of people.

White definitely doesn't show through super white. It has a tint of yellow, compared to a friend's Galaxy Nexus. This is more noticeable at lower brightness levels, but still there when at full brightness.

I am seeing some vertical bands in darker background colors, no matter the brightness level. That seems to be more with the technology of OLED.

This one bugs me the most. When I tilt the screen away from me, even at a minor angle, white begins to turn to a blue tint. Starts occurring at as little as perhaps 15-20 degrees, and by the time I am viewing it from a 45 degree mark (from any direction), the screen has a very blue tint. Very noticeable when web browsing (Google search results pages being an example). My friend's Galaxy Nexus hardly does this, if at all. I find that very odd. Tested on identical settings. Neither of us had screen protectors and we bought them at the same store and in the same hour.

I'll probably go to the store and have a look at the demo model. If that one doesn't experience this, and if few of you haven't, I'll ask for an exchange.
  8. tigercranestyle

tigercranestyle Well-Known Member

imho i think it's absolutely worth exchanging. i saw this thread after i replaced my nexus in a corporate store for the exact same problem.

the screen was fine when it's in broad daylight or brightness is set at above thirty percent, but in a slightly dark room when the screen dims (if you have it set on auto anyhow) my nexus had vertical translucent lines throughout. it's not anything i could have taken a screenshot of, because it was the actual screen on the device.

i kept on second-guessing myself thinking that i was too picky, but found myself searching for banding, line(s), and screen while at this site and other sites in their nexus forums. plenty of other folks have this issue. see for yourself.

if you have this problem, my advice is to have it replaced. when you do, take a photo or two in the store to make sure that the problem is not on your replacement before walking out of the store. now that i've done exactly that, i have a problem-free screen. :)
  9. tigercranestyle

tigercranestyle Well-Known Member

hmmm...

i'd like to retract my statement above. the part about having a "problem-free" screen at least. i'm in the dark quite a bit in the evening and sure enough i noticed that the lines are no longer a grayish color, but now they are lighter than the rest of the screen. :mad:

not too happy about this. i'll just call customer service tomorrow, have them document it on my account, wait a week until (hopefully) another batch is released, and go from there.

noticed the "banding" thread on this page also. guess i'll keep a look out on it.