Possible solution to CDMA lockup?Support

Last Updated:

1. samaruf

samaruf Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Guys,
    I think I have found a quirky solution to this nagging issue with Moment but it requires some patience. Basically whenever I see that dreaded EVDO up arrow stuck in place, I quickly switch to WiFi mode. I will keep it in WiFi mode anywhere from 5-15 minutes and then will turn it off and switch to EVDO. So far in 3 out of 3 tries, the CDMA lock went away. Now, you might say that just rebooting is a faster fix but there are times when I'm browsing a page or doing something else and don't want to reboot.

Give it a try and let me know if it works with your Moment. I'm running Amstel rom 2.0

Advertisement
  2. flu13

flu13 Well-Known Member

Intriguing, but I don't have that sort of patience. And for me, the lock-up only happens when wi-fi is already enabled.

3. edp

edp Well-Known Member

I think a lot ppl experience the lockup after a wifi session. I found that as long as I use atk to kill everything before I turn off wifi I don't get the lockup as where if I leave things running and turn it off, its guaranteed to cause a lockup

4. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator

With my last phone, lockup only occurred after quitting a wifi session. If I rebooted after shutting off wifi, no lockup. My new unit refuses to lockup and I've tried all the popular methods for inducing it. It's only a couple of days so there's still time for lockup to raise its ugly head, but it does give me hope.

5. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

I fixed it with an Evo! I hear the Epic will address the issues exceptionally well too!

On a more serious note, I've read in at least one place that underclocking doesnt fix it, but it reduces the frequency!

6. samaruf

I sure hope Epic doesn't have this problem otherwise Samsung is going to get a big black eye from Sprint Android customers. Sprint already knows about the Airplane Mode bug with Moment so I expect their product acceptance department to put the Epic through rigorous testing to prevent something like this bug to get out to the public.

I might have seen this mentioned in an SDX thread that there's a way to reset the radio to fix this bug without rebooting. Anyone know what app or script does this?

7. pastafarian

The Epic probably won't have the same problems as the Moment, it will have it's own set of issues for online users to carry on ablout. Every smartphone I've owned has had it's share of issues and the Moment isn't the worst of the bunch. THEY'RE ALL FLAWED! Even the Evo that some say is the "cure" to the Moments problems suffers from some significant screen and battery life issues that have many users very pissed off. As it ages and moves from the "hot" device to that old thing, it will also become a problem filled HTC mistake to many vocal posters. The Moment isn't a great device, nor is it a terrible one either. I thought the lockup problem was endemic to the lot. When I swapped out my last unit due to bad gps performance, I worried that I would get a phone with worse lockup than the slight issue I already had. As it turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong. I now have a Moment that has very good gps reception, no lockup (so far) and a louder speaker to boot.

8. derebigg

derebigg Member

pasta, I also got a new moment on monday. This time the lockup issue seems to not be present like yours, however I now have a unit with gps nonexistent. I was standing in an open parking lot and could lock on to 4 sats, but every app other than the gps test was telling me it could not get a lock and unable to acquire position. If it's not one thing it will be another, but I am happy that I no longer have the data locks a couple of times a day that I was having before. Good luck with your new moment.

pastafarian likes this.
  9. pastafarian

Picking up only 4 sats in an open parking lot sounds a lot like my last 2 Moments. You probably should be seeing 8-12. My old Moment saw very few sats and with gps test, you could watch it loose all and then slowly reacquire them every 20 seconds or so. This is probably what is preventing the nav programs from reporting a lock. Maybe another swap is in order? Good luck!

derebigg likes this.
  10. derebigg

derebigg Member

I spoke too soon, this eve trying to use sportstap and iheartradio I got a complete lockup. I used wifi for a while and then lost connection there and got a lockup. I then needed to reboot, I kept wifi off and I then got the complete lockup. I thought I had won finally, guess not just another replacement. Maybe I can get one of the "good" ones this time. Hope it doesn't happen to you pasta. I hope it works out better for you.

11. SporkLover

SporkLover Well-Known Member

Pasta, be more upset. As a consumer you should not have to accept flawed devices. Manufacturers think this is ok because consumers still accept them.

Within the last year or so this same exact type of statement got that exec at RIM in hot water. In fact I think he was using it to defend the Storm.

12. pastafarian

I've been through the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any more" faze several times and it did no good. I've ranted and raved on online, complained to the mfg, changed providers and most notably swapped devices. I've had a total of 4 smartphones so far, but that amounts to 15 different devices (3 6700, 5 Moguls, 4 Touchpro's, 3 Moments). I don't advocate acceptance, but I do try to be realistic. The amusing thing is that these phones are manufactured by the same fabs that made pda's before the smartphone. I owned several pda's (Sharp(2), Casio(2), Dell(2), Toshiba) without a single warranty claim.

13. samaruf

I owned a Dell Axim X3i. That was a good PDA, but then again Windows Mobile was a downer.

14. pastafarian

I had a x5 which I lost on a train and a x51v.