possible spyware or virus?Support

Last Updated:

1. resa2012

resa2012 Well-Known Member

When I visit the family watch dog site a pop up always comes up saying things like do I have spyware or viruses. I took screen shots of these error boxes. But I dont see a way to upload a pic. Some other random site did the same thing but like I said I can't upload a pic bc I don't c that option. Thanks in advance.
    Also my phone is alil bit off I guess would b the way too word that
    So is it possible to Get spyware or a virus?
    Is it possible I have downloaded an app that has ways of making my phone go koo koo, whether I still have it or have uninstalled it

Advertisement
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Is it possible to download spyware or a virus? Sure. But a lot of sites have pop-up ads.

To post a picture, click on Go Advanced when you're typing in the post, scroll down and you'll see Manage Attachments. Click the button and a window will come up. Blibvk a Browse button in that window and you can choose a picture on your computer to upload. It will appear in your post.
  3. resa2012

I don't have access to a computer I'm using my galaxy and do not see advanced options when posting this
  4. resa2012

Ok I'm sorry about this but apparently I was on the mobile version for this site. Oops. I just found the link to the full site. I'll will attempt to post the pics thank you

I only seen 2 screen shots of the pop up however I had more but they've disappeared mysteriously

Attached Files:

5. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

These look like no more than scareware adverts, which I have seen on numerous occasions when ad blocking was turned off.

How would a web site know your phone was infected with a virus? The answer is that it wouldn't. Whoever is responsible for this is hoping you will download some stupid app and will con you either by making you pay for virus removal software you don't need or even worse, the software may itself be a virus.

You can get free AV software (e.g. Avast!) for Android in the Play Store, so if you are concerned (which you shouldn't be) download one of the free respectable AV apps and scan your phone.

I suggest you don't visit sites that have this sort of scareware popup, they are clearly funded by some dodgy people and you would be safer going elsewhere.
    electricpete likes this.
  6. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

What he said.
  7. resa2012

Well thank you for the suggestions. The site I search though its suppose to be very safe. It's a site that you can look up registered sex offenders. I never had a problem with it before. The site is. National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog

I've never heard anything bad about it before. I've used it for several years. Like I said this year is the first time to Getty these pop ups.
    Do you know I'd I can prevent pop ups through my Sprint browser?

Thanks again
  8. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I use Adblock Plus. It hasn't been without problems for me on my phone due to changes in Android that I presume Google has introduced to protect its ad revenue but it usually works fine. This works across the whole system and will block all or almost all adverts in most apps.
  9. resa2012

Ok thanks I'll check it out