• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help possible spyware or virus?

resa2012

Aug 28, 2012
Louisiana
When I visit the family watch dog site a pop up always comes up saying things like do I have spyware or viruses. I took screen shots of these error boxes. But I dont see a way to upload a pic. Some other random site did the same thing but like I said I can't upload a pic bc I don't c that option. Thanks in advance.
Also my phone is alil bit off I guess would b the way too word that
So is it possible to Get spyware or a virus?
Is it possible I have downloaded an app that has ways of making my phone go koo koo, whether I still have it or have uninstalled it

Is it possible to download spyware or a virus? Sure. But a lot of sites have pop-up ads.

To post a picture, click on Go Advanced when you're typing in the post, scroll down and you'll see Manage Attachments. Click the button and a window will come up. Blibvk a Browse button in that window and you can choose a picture on your computer to upload. It will appear in your post.

Upvote 0
Ok I'm sorry about this but apparently I was on the mobile version for this site. Oops. I just found the link to the full site. I'll will attempt to post the pics thank you

I only seen 2 screen shots of the pop up however I had more but they've disappeared mysteriously

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-03-27-11-39-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-27-11-39-05.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 61
  • Screenshot_2014-03-27-11-44-05.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-03-27-11-44-05.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 72
Upvote 0
These look like no more than scareware adverts, which I have seen on numerous occasions when ad blocking was turned off.

How would a web site know your phone was infected with a virus? The answer is that it wouldn't. Whoever is responsible for this is hoping you will download some stupid app and will con you either by making you pay for virus removal software you don't need or even worse, the software may itself be a virus.

You can get free AV software (e.g. Avast!) for Android in the Play Store, so if you are concerned (which you shouldn't be) download one of the free respectable AV apps and scan your phone.

I suggest you don't visit sites that have this sort of scareware popup, they are clearly funded by some dodgy people and you would be safer going elsewhere.

Reactions: electricpete
Upvote 0
These look like no more than scareware adverts, which I have seen on numerous occasions when ad blocking was turned off.

How would a web site know your phone was infected with a virus? The answer is that it wouldn't. Whoever is responsible for this is hoping you will download some stupid app and will con you either by making you pay for virus removal software you don't need or even worse, the software may itself be a virus.

You can get free AV software (e.g. Avast!) for Android in the Play Store, so if you are concerned (which you shouldn't be) download one of the free respectable AV apps and scan your phone.

I suggest you don't visit sites that have this sort of scareware popup, they are clearly funded by some dodgy people and you would be safer going elsewhere.

Well thank you for the suggestions. The site I search though its suppose to be very safe. It's a site that you can look up registered sex offenders. I never had a problem with it before. The site is. National Sex Offender Registry - Family Watchdog

I've never heard anything bad about it before. I've used it for several years. Like I said this year is the first time to Getty these pop ups.
Do you know I'd I can prevent pop ups through my Sprint browser?

Thanks again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones