possible the first ever bricked milestone....

Last Updated:

1. kurosawa79

kurosawa79 Member This Topic's Starter

hi everyone!

mine's a pretty long story so ill try and make it as short as possible w/ bullets!

• milestone bought in china (where there is no official release) hence it's a grey import
    • phone was flashed (w/out my knowledge) with a custom chinese language rom, hence im assuming it was rooted
    • i manually flashed with rds lite back to an official hong kong moto rom (2.0.1) so i could get english language back
    • at this point still wasnt aware the phone had been rooted so did a straight flash without un-rooting and it worked fine
    • a few days in i changed sim cards in my phone and things started acting odd. phone froze a little but came back on - put in pocket and when i pulled it out again it wouldnt boot up - only backlight would light - no splashscreen, no moto logo, no nothing
    • did batt pulls, recharges and still nothing - the screen wont even blink (cept backlight)
    i'm assuming that this may have something to do with the fact that i didnt unroot the phone before i put the stock rom back on the phone? is there anywhere back from this situation? i tried to connect adb to my phone to try to get into recovery but adb cant see the device...yet rds lite can when i boot with power+dpad up. so the phone is still in there somewhere! ive installed all the moto drivers but of course, am not sure my phone is set to debug mode as i cant access the system....perhaps that why i cant see it.

needless to say, i have no sprecovery or anything installed as i hadnt realised the phone was rooted earlier (my stupid oversight....) sigh :(

the only other person that displayed similar problems i found is on this thread - cept he eventually could access adb as he knew what he was doing previous to installing a stock rom over a custom one

Only seeing black screen; your help is needed! - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

before any of you tell me to take it back to verizon...i cant, as its not from verizon and there is no refund as its a grey import. the repair shop here in SH cant work out a way to fix it either....my last hope is here so pls let me know what i can do!

i love my droid :(

Advertisement
  2. spottyelephant

spottyelephant Well-Known Member

That's rough mate! I would never buy anything from China specifically for fear of scenarios like this! 90% of the time it's probably ok, but if something goes wrong you're in trouble..

So, down to business. First, im not sure that flashing a stock rom on a root would have the effect you're talking about as the boot sequence should at the very least start up, if not just repeat over and over because it's impossible to tamper with the boot kernal on milestones. So really it should be fully intact, which would mean the phone is always recoverable. Question number one is, are you talking about a Milestone or Droid? Because the Droid's kernal could be f'd, in which case you're in trouble, but a milestone's one will (should) be ok.

Also, with a milestone you press power on + camera button to go into recovery, not d-pad.
    If you do have a milestone and not a droid it might be worth taking out the sd card and use a card reader with your PC to put an Update.zip on the root of the card, then see if you can get to it via power on+camera, then volume up+camera. I don't know whether i should be telling you to use an official update.zip, the update.zip that gives root, or a Rom update.zip i'm afraid though. If i were in your shoes i think i'd probably try the Pulsar Rom update.zip (+ associated files)

I assume you've been here to get the stock rom in case your current one was corrupted?

Tbh I don't really know, but i find it very strange that the phone won't even start a boot sequence. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

3. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Lesson: don't buy from China. Hong Kong yes, China no.

4. kurosawa79

thanks for the advice guys.

i think im more or less resigned to the fact i have to take it to moto servicing in HK as i suspect it might be a harware problem. as nothing shows up on my screen its incredibly difficult to apply an update.zip. i tried to access the recovery console via adb but failed as im sure my phone is not switched to debugging. my phone is a milestone btw. ive also tried a few sbf flashes using 2.0 and 2.0.1 - also sbfs from both the uk and hk.

the phone is a hong kong phone (meant for HK market) but as china did not get the release for the milestone my handset is a "grey" import (to use the word "import" is a little silly as all these phones are made in china anyway but with a model like the milestone, none will be allocated for the china market and will instead be sold in europe, hong kong, latin america etc.). its not so much that its a problem with china its just ive been incredibly unlucky with my particular handset. ive bought at least 5/6 handsets in china and theyve all worked great - and in my 13 yrs of using phones, this has been the first one that has ever crapped out on me so drastically.

i may pick up another milestone but what do you guys think? should i wait for an upcoming android handset? any suggestions?

5. kurosawa79

wish i had the choice sometimes but as i work in shanghai, buying from hk is a a pain and a trek