• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible to flash JUST the os?

SkinJob

Oct 5, 2010
I'm wondering if there is a way to reflash the files of the Android operating system, without ANY of the other components (ie. kernel, boot, etc). Of course, there's a specific reason I'm asking....

I've got a sick Playtab 9" rk3026 Rockchip tablet. It won't get past the boot screen. I have tried everything, up to and including wiping the NAND flash and reformatting it (fat32). The tablet runs jb 4.2. It (was) rooted and has TWRP recovery installed. That lets me look at the file system, and it does look to me like most files I would expect to see in "data" (and also system) are not there. If that's right, that would explain why it won't boot.

And that may be because I backed up (and later restored) just the essential basic components of the system, and not the user data or apps; etc. It may have been too sparse a backup, and did not include the full Android jellybean OS. But I know of no custom rom for this tablet I can try!

I'm pretty sure that if I can refresh the files of the OS somehow, or find a custom ROM that will not brick the thing, I can end up saving it!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones