Possible to get 2 Evo's at discounted price?

Last Updated:

1. secretmethod70

secretmethod70 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My girlfriend and I are currently on independent plans with AT&T, but she's on a monthly plan and my contract ends this July. We're hoping to switch to Sprint on a combined plan, and we'd both like to get the Evo. My question is: since we're both new customers (albeit on a combined plan), will Sprint give us the discounted price on both phones? If not, would it work to each sign an individual plan to get the discount and then combine our plans a month or two later? Just trying to think of the most economical way for us to both have the Evo, because I don't think either of us will be happy with just one having it!

Advertisement
  2. dtokarz

dtokarz Active Member

You are opening 2 brand new lines with Sprint, so yes, I would think you would get 2 discounts.

3. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

each line gets a discount when you join sprint the only difference is the primary line will get an upgrade yearly while the secondary line will get an upgrade every two years when her contract ends... you still have to sign another 2 year contract to get your discount thought

secretmethod70 likes this.
  4. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

Yep. You are good to go.

5. secretmethod70

Awesome, thanks for the help! If I do the early upgrade after a year and sign a new contract, would that make her ineligible to upgrade for another 2 years since that's when the contract would end?

6. Covert_Death

no your contracts are seperate so when you sign a contract at 1 year, you'll be in for a total of three (2 more years from when you renew contract) when her initial two years are up she will have the option to upgrade her contract and get a discount

7. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

If the primary line buys a new phone after 1 year at the discounted rate then the sign a new 2 year agreement, the old contract is now no longer valid. They don't add the 2 years onto the remaining year, they just wipe it clean.

If he buys the phone out right without the discount then he doesn't have to add any time to his contract but has pay more for the phone.

The secondary line can only get a discounted phone every 22 months.

8. Covert_Death

right that is what i said, that is why after one year the total commitment would be 3 years not 4

9. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

Ok so what you are doing is adding up the two lines contracts to create a 'total commitment' number of years of 3? Such as 2 years on the primary and 1 year on the secondary? Because that's a confusing way to put it because they are separate accounts, it's much easier to understand them separately considering that time passes on both of them equally. Like if it is 2010 both of your contracts will be ended by 2012 (with one having been ended for a year) not in 2013 (which I know you understand but 3 years makes it sound that way).

Did I understand you right this time?

10. Covert_Death

no i was saying 3 total years 2 more from when he renews for discount, so 2010-2011(signs again) locked in till 2013 now, 2nd line still gets out at 2012 and can resign till 2014 at that point...

i guess i was saying he would be extending his contract by two years, one year into it, so he would be in by a total of 3 years before he could get out if he signed at one year... basically 2013-2010

okay now im sounding really confusing... sorry OP lol

11. secretmethod70

It's ok, I'm pretty sure I understand :) Seems kind of odd to me that each phone would have its own contract though, since they'd both be on the same plan.

12. LatinP

LatinP Well-Known Member

I'm in a not so similar yet similar situation. I've got a 2 line family plan I opened recently with Sprint coming from AT&T. Now both these lines were opened on 2/9 obviously I can't get an Evo upgrade on either line but since I will have to add a line in the near future and get my daughter a phone I'll pay 10 dollars and add a line. Now the new line will be attached with my family plan BUT the upgrade date won't be the same and each line will have it's own contract and etf if I ever choose to leave. I know it sounds weird but this is just the way cellphone contracts work, fortunately for me I'll be able to give my daughter my Moment and grab a shiney new Evo at full discount price, I'd only have to call CS and tell them to swap the new number I got with the evo with my phone and give her the new number.

13. Covert_Death

each line will always have it's own contract with sprint, you just have the ability to bundle them together when it comes to plans, but each phone /person will have their own contract with sprint seperate from the rest

14. theandroidtimes

theandroidtimes New Member

I am pretty sure it is $20.00/month to add that new line.