• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Possible to get 2 Evo's at discounted price?

My girlfriend and I are currently on independent plans with AT&T, but she's on a monthly plan and my contract ends this July. We're hoping to switch to Sprint on a combined plan, and we'd both like to get the Evo. My question is: since we're both new customers (albeit on a combined plan), will Sprint give us the discounted price on both phones? If not, would it work to each sign an individual plan to get the discount and then combine our plans a month or two later? Just trying to think of the most economical way for us to both have the Evo, because I don't think either of us will be happy with just one having it!

no your contracts are seperate so when you sign a contract at 1 year, you'll be in for a total of three (2 more years from when you renew contract) when her initial two years are up she will have the option to upgrade her contract and get a discount

If the primary line buys a new phone after 1 year at the discounted rate then the sign a new 2 year agreement, the old contract is now no longer valid. They don't add the 2 years onto the remaining year, they just wipe it clean.

If he buys the phone out right without the discount then he doesn't have to add any time to his contract but has pay more for the phone.

The secondary line can only get a discounted phone every 22 months.

Reactions: secretmethod70
Upvote 0
right that is what i said, that is why after one year the total commitment would be 3 years not 4

Ok so what you are doing is adding up the two lines contracts to create a 'total commitment' number of years of 3? Such as 2 years on the primary and 1 year on the secondary? Because that's a confusing way to put it because they are separate accounts, it's much easier to understand them separately considering that time passes on both of them equally. Like if it is 2010 both of your contracts will be ended by 2012 (with one having been ended for a year) not in 2013 (which I know you understand but 3 years makes it sound that way).

Did I understand you right this time?

Upvote 0
I'm in a not so similar yet similar situation. I've got a 2 line family plan I opened recently with Sprint coming from AT&T. Now both these lines were opened on 2/9 obviously I can't get an Evo upgrade on either line but since I will have to add a line in the near future and get my daughter a phone I'll pay 10 dollars and add a line. Now the new line will be attached with my family plan BUT the upgrade date won't be the same and each line will have it's own contract and etf if I ever choose to leave. I know it sounds weird but this is just the way cellphone contracts work, fortunately for me I'll be able to give my daughter my Moment and grab a shiney new Evo at full discount price, I'd only have to call CS and tell them to swap the new number I got with the evo with my phone and give her the new number.

Upvote 0
I'm in a not so similar yet similar situation. I've got a 2 line family plan I opened recently with Sprint coming from AT&T. Now both these lines were opened on 2/9 obviously I can't get an Evo upgrade on either line but since I will have to add a line in the near future and get my daughter a phone I'll pay 10 dollars and add a line. Now the new line will be attached with my family plan BUT the upgrade date won't be the same and each line will have it's own contract and etf if I ever choose to leave. I know it sounds weird but this is just the way cellphone contracts work, fortunately for me I'll be able to give my daughter my Moment and grab a shiney new Evo at full discount price, I'd only have to call CS and tell them to swap the new number I got with the evo with my phone and give her the new number.

I am pretty sure it is $20.00/month to add that new line.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones