Possible to hack the PRL to use closest tower always???Support

Last Updated:

1. getut

getut New Member This Topic's Starter

Exactly what the title is asking...

Is it possible to hack the PRL... or either remove it completely and have the phone dumbly choose the closest tower regardless of whose it is to get the absolute best quality and reliability?

Both my work and home are in areas where I have very borderline signal strength to a Sprint tower but not quite bad enough where it is wanting to stay linked to one of the other towers closer to me. Sometimes it fails over to those but not for more than just a few seconds.

Advertisement
  2. zx12richard

zx12richard Well-Known Member

What's prl mean and so? Thanks

3. getut

getut New Member This Topic's Starter

All cell phones have a "Preferred Roaming List" that directs the phone how to handle situations where multiple towers are within contact range. Providers work out deals with other companies.

Say you use Sprint, but you are in a location where there are no Sprint towers but there are towers from 2 other companies within range. Say Sprint has a deal worked out with company 1 but not company 2. Your phone will use the PRL to determine it is cheaper to use company 1's tower rather than company 2's tower even if the signal is a little marginal. Your phone will hold on to tower 1 as long as is absolutely possible before switching to company 2's tower.

I want to know if it is possible to make the phone "stupid" and use the closest tower regardless of who it belongs to or costs Sprint more to provide me with good service.

4. mysticmead

mysticmead Well-Known Member

short answer... no you can't make it use the closest tower regardless of who owns it..

longer answer: there has to be a roaming agreement in place for a tower that isn't owned by Sprint or it will ignore your phone. there have been a few questions previously about setting the phone to roaming only.. but there's a drawback to that.. if you roam all the time, Sprint can cancel your account. I don't beleive anyone was able to successfully force roaming..

5. Jonagpa

Jonagpa Member

6. DonB

DonB ♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™ Moderator