possible to overcharge and ruin battery?Support

Last Updated:

1. tauran121

tauran121 Well-Known Member

when the battery hits full charge i get a message saying i should unplug the charger.
    if i dont, will i ruin the battery?
    it was never a problem to leave my old hero plugged in overnight just worried that i might do damage if i do the same on my sgs2.

Advertisement
  2. Cyph3r

Cyph3r Well-Known Member

No, the lithium ion batteries have built in protection against overcharging and over-discharging.

Don't worry about it, when the message pops up that the batterys fully charged, the battery is no longer charging anyway :)
  3. Aatos.1

Aatos.1 Well-Known Member

The circuitry is "smart" and will not only stop charging when you are at 100% but it will also stay reasonably cool. The reason I say "reasonably cool" is that there is still current flow from the charger to the phone. So it's fine to leave it overnight, but I would not leave it to charge for days. Also be sure you do not cover up the phone while being charged as it has to have some air circulating around it to prevent excess heat buildup.

Finally remember this. The type of battery that is in your phone is very sensitive to ambient heat that is above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. So be sure and avoid leaving it in the car or in a window or anywhere that it will get hot. There is no faster way to kill your battery. Conversely if it gets cold, no problem.
  4. tauran121

tauran121 Well-Known Member

thanks guys, thought it was ok, just needed the confirmation.
  5. The main reason why the phone makes a ruckus is really only because of vampire power, not because it cares about overheating or lifespan or anything like that. Unplug it if you are around when it beeps so you can save the $$$ (and maybe mother earth in the process). Or just ignore it altogether. If the beep is annoying there's a hack to disable it somewhere...
  6. jaggs

jaggs New Member

7. nab195

nab195 New Member

A quick warning guys.

I have heard that when a battery is fully charged, it does stop charging but then when the battery goes back down to say 99%, it starts charging again...only to stop at 100% and then repeat the cycle over and over...

This constant cycle will wear away at the battery life apparently. Anyone have anything to say in regards to this?
  8. That is called VAMPIRE POWER!!!

Modern lithium phones have no problems with these repeated recharge cycles. They will die from age and heat more than the number of cycles. And like people have already said, the circuitry minimizes the number of times it will make dumb recharges.

It is all about the $$$! And MA EARTH!

Read my post. :p
  9. Uber-Duper

Uber-Duper Well-Known Member

10. leightos

leightos Active Member

Does anyone from SAMSUNG read these posts????

the cartoon is Soooooooooo true. I'm so sick of this phone and its quirky bugs that we can't fix.

rubbish for such a high priced phone

btw.... Choco is right - Li Ion batts won't be fussed by the small discharges. Its the heat that will kill it.
  11. vengance007

vengance007 Well-Known Member

12. loony

loony Well-Known Member

just a side Question....can you charge the phone whilst its turned off?
    (i know the HTC's you have to have them on, bit of a "turn off" (lol :p) really but it wont break my deal with the S2.)
  13. sonicgs2

sonicgs2 New Member

yes, the phone will charge much more quickly while off. I've started mine from 0 and charged in an hour or two.....
    Stormlight likes this.
  14. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

It will not hurt your phone to leave it on the charger all night. When the battery is full it will stop charging.

Just relax and enjoy your phone.
    geranimo likes this.
  15. geranimo

geranimo Member

best bit of advice ive read tonight gregg.
  16. Hammerpgh

Hammerpgh Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for their contributions. Just one thing... does allowing the battery to completely die have an adverse effect. I never do this (think it has happened once in the 3 and a half months I have had it) but just wondering.

Cheers
  17. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Well-Known Member

I am not sure if your device will allow it to run the battery down to full DEAD. This IS bad on your battery and will shorten the life of the battery. Some still think that it is good to run it down to NEAR dead every once in a while. I see no reason for this unless you suspect the battery meter needs calibrating.

Just relax and use your phone and out it on the charger at night. Wake up, unplug and repeat over and over! The SG2 is by far the best phone I have owned including the new Nexus. The SG2 is just the right size with the best camera and slot for micro SD!

The SG2 is a winner!:p
    Hammerpgh likes this.
  18. Hammerpgh

Hammerpgh Well-Known Member

Definitely agree with your comments regarding this excellent phone. I wouldn't replace it with any out there.

Thanks for the battery tip, I pretty much always put it on charge as I go to bed unless it still has plenty of capacity to see me through the next day as well. Last night was the first time in ages that I had run it right down (to 2%) and seeing this thread just prompted me to ask the question.
  19. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Using it until the handset shuts down due to "low power" won't cause any problems because the battery won't be fully exhausted. You only risk long-term damage if you force it to a fully-discharged state (so that it won't turn on) and then only if you do so regularly.