Possible to root and get stock 2.2?

Last Updated:

1. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ugh...I hate the Samsung Overlay, I would love to get just stock 2.2!

Advertisement
  2. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Well-Known Member

no there is no way to get vanilla android. the closest thing you will get to that is cyanogen but there is no telling when it will come out. i dont see whats so bad about touchwiz, i dont like the icons so i use launcher pro, other than that it is pretty handy

3. solidkevin

solidkevin Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks. Yea its not a big deal tbh, I use LauncherPro too, just like Vanilla. Anyway, thanks.

4. xSK

xSK New Member

sry i had to borrow from the TS, so pretty much the same question...

1- if i rooted from stock rom and deleted the att bloatware, will i be able to update when official froyo is ready? will it reinstall all the bloatware on the update?

2- i cant get the I897UCJH7 after rooting i keep getting the wait 24hrs limit so idk if it will be the same when 2.2 is out, worst case i might have to run odin then update i guess?

3- is there any article to confirm u can install non-market downloaded app with 2.2?

thx in advance

5. Jirv311

Jirv311 Active Member

6. Infinite-t

Infinite-t Well-Known Member

I keep hearing that 2.2 wont be an OTA, so if for whatever reason you cant get OTAs, then it wouldnt matter.

2.2 WILL put AT&T/Samsung Bloatware back on your phone. It is just "updated" versions of the same crap, but it is there. If you use a custom ROM, like Cog. it is all been hidden and disabled. I believe TiBu will be able to freeze the 2.2 crap too. If you root, you will probably have to re-root for 2.2.. no biggie. But I would un-root before you update just to be safe, you'll have to redo it anyway.

When I updated to jh7 , I did it OTA with root. It worked fine and I didnt even lose root. Is yours failing to connect, or is it just not finding it or what? Not that you are missing much, but have you tried clearing the data cache?

7. xSK

xSK New Member

i'll need to check back in later, right now im being restricted by this message:

"Sorry, 24hrs has not elapsed since you made your last request for software update

Time before you can make a new request:

8hrs 2mins"

by memory though, i did the normal update as i did last time before rooting, as soon as i push for the update it kicks me off couple seconds later, when i wanna give it another try i got that message above =\