• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Possible to switch out of airplane mode only when screen is active?

Davidd31415

Nov 24, 2010
Is it possible to configure the Droid X so that it switches out of airplane mode only when the screen is active? At work my battery life is about 4 hrs max but I still get a weak signal. I would like to be able to perform internet searches when I use the phone but would prefer airplane mode any other time.

I have Taker, if there is a way to use it to do the job.

Thanks,

David

I don't fully understand... are you saying, you want it on airplane mode until you open the dialer app? I don't know how to do this, but there's an app called Tasker which might be able to help you with something like this....

It's also really odd to me that you get such a poor battery life... do you have the latest verizon update installed? Android 2.2 fixed my battery problems.

Edit: sorry, i just saw the part about tasker in your post... I'm sorry I don't know much about that app!

Upvote 0
Anything is possible with tasker. haha

switching to airplane mode when the display's off
1. new profile > event > display > display off
2. new task > net > airplane mode > set: on

turning off airplane mode when unlocked
1. new profile > event > display > display unlocked
2. new task > net airplane mode > set: off

It does take a couple secs for 3g to turn on, but that's unavoidable.

Upvote 0
If you had a set time for work you could also use a Time Context in addition to the Display Off Context. Then you would only need 1 profile:

"Work" Profile
New Profile
Context > Time > 8:00 until 16:00
Context > Event > Display Off
Task > Net > Airplane Mode > On

Add Exit Task
Net > Airplane Mode > Off

This way the profile is only active during your work hours. You can even add another Context for certain days, so it won't activate on your days off.

If you still wanted to receive calls, then use the Mobile Data Off instead of Airplane Mode On.

Upvote 0
You could definitely do it with Tasker... but 4 hours? There has to be something wrong there. Even a weak signal shouldn't pillage your phone in 4 hours.

Truth. I keep my DX in a metal locker for a large part of my work day, and I still get 16+ hours out of it before I plug it in at bedtime with juice left. You should install TrafficStatsLite and see if you have some app using a lot of data. Or check you battery manager and see what is using the largest part of the battery. Something aint right here, and it can't be just a weak signal.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones