1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Possible to turn off just the cell radio?Support

1. somehuman

somehuman Member

Is it possible to turn off JUST the cell radio? If so, how?

Thanks
    -= SomeHuman =-

Advertisement
  2. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Well-Known Member

Why? If you want to save battery just turn off mobile data.
    Oh, and yes there is. Just put the phone in Airplane mode.
  3. Shawnz

Shawnz Well-Known Member

Airplane mode
  4. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

Airplane Mode

or Settings - Wireless Networks - Mobile Network (uncheck)
  5. Braaainz

Braaainz Well-Known Member

You can't use Bluetooth when in airplane mode, so that isn't the answer he's looking for.

For what its worth, it'd be something I'd be interested in as well. At work I have extremely poor cell signal, but open WiFi. I'd like my cell radio off, WiFi and Bluetooth on.
  6. theintoxicatedmofo

theintoxicatedmofo Well-Known Member

actually yes he can...just hold the power button for about 2 seconds and then put the phone on airplane mode...once its on there scroll over to options and you could turn on the wifi and/ or the Bluetooth and keep the cell phone radio off...i always do this in my english class since the signal sucks and i dont want my phones battery to drain trying to find a signal
    ridgid likes this.
  7. RoboMonkey

Where did the OP say he wanted to use BT?
  8. nRRe

nRRe Well-Known Member

was wondering the same thing.

you can put on the "MOBILE" widget which will allow you to turn off your mobile signal, or like i said earlier go into Settings>Wireless Networks> Mobile (Uncheck it).
    Mr. Ed likes this.
  9. The Dorian

The Dorian Well-Known Member

There's widgets for each of those...
  10. Braaainz

I've got the widgets. Bluetooth won't work in airplane mode.

Turning off JUST the cell radio implies that he wanted the ability to have any/all other features capable of being on. Reading comprehension=good thing ;)

Thanks for the answer about turning mobile data off.

Sorry, but either our phones are working differently, or you actually haven't tried the bluetooth in airplane mode. Wifi does work... airplanes are adding wifi signals so that feature was allowed. Bluetooth doesn't.
  11. RoboMonkey

What the bloody heck does that have to do with BT?
    And FYI that's called making an "ass"umption.

Is there anyway for me to get free money? Does that mean I don't want to work?

12. theintoxicatedmofo

theintoxicatedmofo Well-Known Member

Im sorry i didnt realize you were using an iphone ;) ... wifi does work on airplane mode...bluetooth does not..plain and simple
  13. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

If you like doing things the overly complicated way to feel special, there's also the option of dialing *#*#4636#*#* > phone information > scroll down and "turn off radio"
    I haven't tested exactly which radio that turns off but one can assume it's the cellular radio
  14. berardi1111

berardi1111 Well-Known Member

Wow so minus the garbage about airplane mode, how do you turn off JUST the cell radio? This would be nice for when international to use wifi but avoid international
    charges
  15. RoboMonkey

Turn off Mobile Data will shut down the 3g radio.

You won’t be able to use the app store, get push emails, or notifications even if WiFi is on. The only thing you get is Phone and text messages.

You can still surf over WiFi.
    Why Android works this way is beyond me.

16. axisofoil

axisofoil Well-Known Member

I can use the Android market, get push emails and notifications on wifi with the 3g radio off. The only things I can't do on wifi with the 3g antenna turned off are the Sprint branded services like Sprint TV.
  17. Braaainz

zero tolerance policy robo-donkey. I think you might want to watch your words a little more closely.
  18. Mishka

Mishka New Member

Hi, I just jumped in here. I am leaving the country, and I want to actually turn of the CDMA radio in my phone. I want just WiFi and internet. How come when i turn internet widget off and use only WIFI AND AIRPLANE MODE am I still able to use my REGULAR DIAL PAD AND MAKE CALLS??? I am not in a hot spot either? I feel like Sprint has purposely made sure they know if you are transferring data and I want to sneak my EVO phone over the border and only use WIFI. I DONT WANT RAOMING! PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND THIS IF POSSIBLE! THANKS!
    MISHKA
  19. anleva

anleva Well-Known Member

I just tested it on my phone. If I go into Airplane mode, I can turn on Wi-Fi but can't turn on the CDMA radio or Mobile Network so I can't place calls or receive text messages but can use the internet.
  20. uniquenameEVO

uniquenameEVO Well-Known Member

How's that glass house you live in?
  21. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

You can JUST shut off "Mobile Network" and then use bluetooth and wifi. One caveat though, this seriously pissed off my phone. I did it when I was in Canada and my phone kept restarting. I think it was specifically disabling the data network. Once I restored everything and just put the phone back in data mode it was all good.
  22. F14Scott

F14Scott Active Member

23. n9las

n9las New Member

davidow likes this.
  24. Airplane mode turns off ALL radios. However you can turn on WiFi and BT while in airplane mode or in a different country.
  25. n9las

n9las New Member

Download Network by Philipp Mangelow in market. Start the app, scroll down until you see "turn off radio" button and press. After that just exit the app. You can activate bluetooth and wifi after you have turned off the rx/tx of your phone. Works perfectly on my Transform.
    ansplus likes this.